difference between 2,4 and 2,5 MBP 15"?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by valiechemicalie, Mar 12, 2008.

1. valiechemicalie macrumors member

What diffrences are there except for the Vram and 100Mhz? I will be getting a 7200 RPM hardrive

I decided I wont need the extra Vram everbody says the 512 makes little diffrence to the 256 so..

Now it seems silly to pay 300 Bucks or so on 100Mhz?

I will use the machine for Games like GTA C&C and games like that and ufffcourse Home work and other student applications like Project management software. And for my desk at home I will buy a external screen between 20" to 24" not yet dicided
    Main reason for not buying 17" is that its to big to carry arround at school and at home I will get a nice sized external screen

I would like to hear your thoughts

2. AliensAreFuzzy macrumors 68000

AliensAreFuzzy

An important difference is that the 2.4 only has 3MB L2 cache where the 2.5 and 2.6 have 6MB L2 cache.

3. Full of Win macrumors 68030

Full of Win

It has 3 MB more of L2 Casch per core (6 MB per core) than the 2.4 GHz CPU.

4. valiechemicalie thread starter macrumors member

what difffrence does the cach make?

Im planning on working with my MBP for atleast 5 years I currently run a 17" Imac G5 wich is 3 years old still runs like its brand new So i think A MBP should be able to get threw 5 years with me?

5. The Flashing Fi macrumors 6502a

If you do a lot of encoding (like ripping DVDs, MP3s, ect), 3 rendering, ect, it can make a difference. But for games, and pretty much everything else, the difference isn't too big that it would justify the extra cash.

6. valiechemicalie thread starter macrumors member

7. AppleTree macrumors member

Don't be mistaken guys, the previous 2.4Ghz MBP has 4MB of L2 cache, not 3MB. A good reference is here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_Core_2_microprocessors#Core_2_Duo_2

I was debating the same thing, should i get the new 2.5 or the old 2.4? I took the old 2.4 and saved about $650 buy purchasing it from Amazon. I don't think these VERY MINOR upgrades justify that much of a price difference.

8. valiechemicalie thread starter macrumors member

The 2.4 on the website is the old model? it is a penryn?
    And the only diffrence is de 512 to 256 and the 4 MB cach? and the little 100Mhz?

9. Etrain macrumors 6502

Etrain

...and a 50GB addition to the HD.

Look, you can get a clearance MBP now for $1700. Then you can the base line current model for $2000, or the middle model for $2200.

The one in clearance has a Speedmark (Macworld scoring system which I have found to be very accurate) score of 182, the base line current MBP is 204, and the middle model is 222. This means that the difference between the scores is directly related to the price paid. Each is a boost of approximately 7 Speedmark points per $100.

Why the hell does that matter? Well, what in the end are you paying extra for? Either a higher resale value, or a longer lasting "aka future proof" machine. For the boost in the Speedmark score you are paying to FUTURE PROOF your machine.

Now is $2200 worth it for a score of 222? If you say yes, then buy today and be happy for years to come! :) If not, wait until June when they update them and the baseline model will be what the middle model is now.

Basically, the only real question is do you want to wait or are you willing to be happy now, because either way your best option is to invest in the 222 machine. ;)

Can you tell I have been analyzing this myself? Lol!

10. bamf macrumors 6502

The new 2.4 is a Penryn with 3MB of L2 cache. The refurbished 2.4 is the Merom processor with 4MB of L2 cache.

If you're worried about resale value, I think (and it's just a IMHO thing), that having the newer model will help keep your resale up for longer. Multi-touch isn't everything, but that's not something you're ever going to get on the Merom based MBPs...

All the other options you can basically get in the older machine - more RAM, bigger hard drive, etc. You just get more in the base model over the refurb now since they just updated the line.

11. valiechemicalie thread starter macrumors member

Well im absolutly not intrested in the resale value this machine will be with me for atleast 4 years wich means al the value will be gone..

So I think I will go for the 2.5 15" with 7200RPM drive
    Will it be able to drive a 24" HD screen?
    I want to be able to watch HD movies but even on the 17" model the screen is to small to realy enjoy the movies I think.

12. djejrejk macrumors 6502a

djejrejk

l2 cache makes a big difference,.. the performance of the 2.5 machine is much greater than you might think.