Difference between 2 sleep modes

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Forkjulle, May 3, 2015.

1. Forkjulle macrumors regular

Apologies if this is a stupid question.

Is there a difference between the sleep mode when my Macbook Pro (with Yosemite) is open, and when it is closed? (Assuming both modes are after, say, 15 or 20 mins.)

If so, then what are the differences? (Presumably in battery life, connection, etc.)

2. JTToft macrumors 68040

You mean between closing the lid, and waiting for it to go to sleep by itself after the amount of time defined in System Preferences?
    Of so, no, there is no difference.

3. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

Sleep is sleep. No difference but you can disable the auto sleep timer when the display is open and it is plugged in. When closed it will always go to sleep.
    On the new MBP you cannot really tell if it is asleep or not when the display is off.

I always type "sl" for sleep in Alfred(app kinda like spotlight just better and with commands) to tell mine to go to sleep without closing the lid. With a plugged in external it gets really annoying when closing the display for sleep. It just never does what I want it to do in that case.

4. Freyqq macrumors 68040

5. JTToft macrumors 68040

- Or just choose Sleep from the Apple menu or use the standard keyboard shortcut Option + Cmd + Eject. :)