Difference between 2007 and 2011 MBP - comparison charts ??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sveintj, Nov 3, 2011.

1. sveintj macrumors newbie

Hi

My dad is going to change his MBP 15.4 inch 2.2 Gh Core 2 Duo/2Gb RAM from 2007 (December) with the new MBP 2.4 Quad Core i7 currently available.

He asks the crucial question: "How much faster is it crunching video editing ?"

I said: " A lot..."

So, can anyone help me quantify that answer ? :)

Thanks.

stj.

2. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

really a lot

3. tmagman macrumors 6502

Go look at the geekbench Mac performance table and that should be enough to convince him. It doesn't take GPU performance into much account, but it does show the raw gains on speed otherwise.

4. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

If he is already changing, it doesn't matter. People only need the stats as justification when they are on the fence about deciding to upgrade or not.

5. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Yeah, it's a different mentality. Since the old machine refuses to break, one has to find a different reason why one has to buy a new one.

Geekbench gives a jump from 3000 to about 10000 in 32 bit mode, to 11500 in 64 bit mode. Actually this is not so much improvement for four years.

6. Tsuchiya macrumors 68020

Tsuchiya

I would think that the difference would be quite dramatic, going from a dual-core Core 2 processor to a quad-core i7 is quite the generational leap. Then there's the fact that the newer machine will come with more RAM as standard and a much better graphics card.

I suspect that for video editing the newer machine won't struggle with conversions as much and a big improvement will be seen when just importing HD content (just pulling HD content from my camcorder onto my machine using iMovie is a painful experience).

Anyway, being more technical about it, here are some Geekbench scores. I don't exactly know what they represent, but just go with the fact that bigger scores are better :p

Using the Geekbench scores:

32-Bit

Macbook Pro (late-2011) w/2.4GHz Quad i7:

Macbook Pro (mid-2007) w/2.2GHz C2D:

64-Bit

Macbook Pro (late-2011) w/2.4GHz Quad i7:

Macbook Pro (mid-2007) w/2.2GHz C2D:

Lastly just thought it might be worth mentioning that these scores are based on new machines not old ones like mine which for some reason score lower despite having more RAM:eek:

7. sveintj thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone for kind answers. I do not think he needs any justfications, but I suspect my mom does...(They are 75+ of age)

So, it looks like this will be a welcome upgrade judging from the numbers !

Again, thanks !

Stj.

8. Minhthien macrumors 6502

9. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

75 years young. Good that they are still keeping active and interested in technology. Put it in perspective and tell them it is like going from Black and White to Color.;):D

10. sveintj thread starter macrumors newbie

So, an update then:

"Well, dad, do you notice anything different with the new MacBook Pro...?

Yes, Internet is a lot faster..."

Thanks everyone :)

11. bvanlieu macrumors member

Not sure what software he's using, but if you look at some app benchmarks you can estimate fairly well.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5113/apple-15inch-macbook-pro-late-2011-review

more thorough review of SB:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4205/the-macbook-pro-review-13-and-15-inch-2011-brings-sandy-bridge

Compare it to say a 2.2 CD2 Macbook 13.

I would expect most jobs to be 2-4x faster and you can see that in some of the tests from Anandtech.

- b

12. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Hehe. Though it's probably true if he visits a lot of flash websites.