Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gata

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 23, 2010
What's the difference between the 2G and the 3G iPod Touch?

As far as I understand it, the 3G is a rebranded 2G for $30 less, bringing it to $199.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
The only difference between the 2G and the 8Gb 3G is the 8Gb has the SHSH support put into in. The 32/64Gb 3G have a faster CPU, more RAM, and other upgraded hardware.

Gata

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 23, 2010
The only difference between the 2G and the 8Gb 3G is the 8Gb has the SHSH support put into in. The 32/64Gb 3G have a faster CPU, more RAM, and other upgraded hardware.

What's SHSH?

If it's software-based, would it come with iOS 4.0/4.1?

Skyhigh223

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2009
What are you people on about?

2G iPods do have Bluetooth.

2G iPods and 8GB 3rd Gens are identical.

3rd Gen iPods (32gb and 64gb models) have more RAM, faster CPU and better graphics capabilities. They support multitasking in iOS4.

No idea what that bloke is on about with SHSH. You can back up your SHSHs using Umbrella just fine with an 8GB 3G(2g), like any other apple iOS device. Along with using those backups to restore with.

Abscissa

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2010
VA
What are you people on about?

2G iPods do have Bluetooth.

2G iPods and 8GB 3rd Gens are identical.

3rd Gen iPods (32gb and 64gb models) have more RAM, faster CPU and better graphics capabilities. They support multitasking in iOS4.

No idea what that bloke is on about with SHSH. You can back up your SHSHs using Umbrella just fine with an 8GB 3G(2g), like any other apple iOS device. Along with using those backups to restore with.

This is correct.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside

I happen to not be a bloke. I'm stating that with a 8Gb 3G one can use 2G firmware and override the SHSH lockout. Thus, Apple didn't get it quite right.

Could you provide some evidence? On Apple's tech specs for the 2G, I see no mention of Bluetooth. They only specify that 3Gs have Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR.

Just watch the 3.0 preview video. Jobs goes on about how Bluetooth will be coming to the 2G iPod Touch. Also, I've used Bluetooth on my 2G, so I know it's there.

Mr Slippy IV

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2010
Vail, AZ
I happen to not be a bloke. I'm stating that with a 8Gb 3G one can use 2G firmware and override the SHSH lockout. Thus, Apple didn't get it quite right.

QFT, though it's an absolute pain to jailbreak a 3rd gen without a bunch of software.

Just watch the 3.0 preview video. Jobs goes on about how Bluetooth will be coming to the 2G iPod Touch. Also, I've used Bluetooth on my 2G, so I know it's there.

Full specs here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPod_Touch#Models

Use the indicated section and the sidebar.

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Home
Warbitrary said:
Not the only difference. No 2G model has bluetooth, the all 3G models have it.

The 2G touch always had a bluetooth chip inside, it just wasn't activated until the 3.0 software was released in June 2009 - a few months before the 3G touch was released.

Here you go, I did a search for you from back when 3.0 was released. This is an MR story with a screenshot of iTunes regarding the 2G touch.

https://www.macrumors.com/2009/06/1...ch-page-appears-in-itunes-not-yet-functional/

And:

https://www.macrumors.com/2009/03/1...-0-preview-copy-and-paste-a2dp-mms-much-more/

MacRumors said:
Meanwhile, Apple also revealed that Bluetooth support can be activated in the 2nd generation iPod Touches.

Warbitrary

macrumors regular
Nov 24, 2009
Montréal, Canada

The 2G touch always had a bluetooth chip inside, it just wasn't activated until the 3.0 software was released in June 2009 - a few months before the 3G touch was released.

Here you go, I did a search for you from back when 3.0 was released. This is an MR story with a screenshot of iTunes regarding the 2G touch.

https://www.macrumors.com/2009/06/1...ch-page-appears-in-itunes-not-yet-functional/

And:

https://www.macrumors.com/2009/03/1...-0-preview-copy-and-paste-a2dp-mms-much-more/

Thanks, it's confusing Apple's specs weren't updated to reflect this.

longball11

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2009
8 GB iPod touch; Which?

I am confused with the 8 GB iPod touch. How do we know which 8 GB model is 2nd generation and third generation. I got a free 8 GB iPod touch this past June for the Back to School promotion. I would assume it's a third generation, please confirm. Thank you.

SlamJam12

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2010
I am confused with the 8 GB iPod touch. How do we know which 8 GB model is 2nd generation and third generation. I got a free 8 GB iPod touch this past June for the Back to School promotion. I would assume it's a third generation, please confirm. Thank you.

I got an iPod touch 8 GB this past summer as well. I would like to know if it is a 2nd generation or 3rd generation.

iLike2Touch

macrumors member
Sep 29, 2010
Look on the back, if the model number is MC, then its a "3rd Generation".

Also, the "XXGB" emblem is much smaller on the third generation.

goosnarrggh

macrumors 68000
May 16, 2006
I got an iPod touch 8 GB this past summer as well. I would like to know if it is a 2nd generation or 3rd generation.

For most purposes, in terms of the 8GB model, it really doesn't matter.

If you refrain from jailbreaking, then you'll never notice any difference whatsoever between the "first run" 2nd generation 8GB iPod touch, and the "refreshed" 2nd generation 8GB iPod touch which was re-released alongside the "true" 3rd generation 32/64GB iPod touches.

(For non-jailbreakers, in terms of measurable effects on user experience, it really is as though there never was a 3rd generation 8GB model. The 8GB model basically jumped straight from 2nd generation to 4th generation.)

If you do jailbreak, then it's possible that behind the scenes, the process for jailbreaking a "first run" 2nd generation iPod touch and a "refreshed" 2nd generation iPod touch may be slightly different - I cannot really comment on that because I've only ever jailbroken 1st generation devices.

On the other hand, the 32GB and 64GB 3rd generation models did bring new tangible features to the table, and iOS behaves differently on them than it does on the 2nd generation devices.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.