difference between 4gb and 8gb 13 air

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by atlchamp, Jun 19, 2012.

1. atlchamp macrumors 68000

atlchamp

Hey guys, do you think its worth it to upgrade to the 8GB air base 13 model?

2. RocketRed macrumors 6502a

depends what you are doing. but if you have extra cash, I'd go for it.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It depends entirely on what you use your Mac for. If all you do is check email and play music, for example, 4GB should be more than sufficient. If you have more demanding needs, 8GB may be essential. Since you can't upgrade the RAM after purchase, be sure to choose wisely before you buy.

4. atlchamp thread starter macrumors 68000

atlchamp

all i do is use my air for school, the basics, but is it worth it for only 100 bucks more?

5. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

6. travis64 macrumors 6502a

travis64

yes its only 90 and u prob need more ram for moutain lion

7. christophermdia macrumors 6502a

christophermdia

Difference is simple.....soldered on ram...8gb is worth every penny for resale value as well as usability.....with a Normal comp, if you need more tam later, you can add it....with the MBA, if you need more memory, too bad...so the more the better to start...

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you don't foresee your needs changing over the next few years and you don't plan to sell your MBA for several years, you may not see any performance benefit to added RAM. However, if you think your needs might change or you might want to sell in the near future, getting more RAM now will cover future requirements and increase resale value (although not necessarily by $100).

9. GREEN4U macrumors 6502a

I think it's worth it. An extra 4GB (or double the amonut) for $100 is pretty inexpensive coming from Apple. Historically their RAM has costed a lot more.

I also noticed the 13" is only $100 than the 11" for the exact same config. That's only $100 for an extra 2" of screen. This is also a no-brainer deal. Again, historically this type of "upgrade" has costed a lot more. I think it used to average around $100-150 per extra diagonal inch on their PBs and MBPs.