difference between 7200 rpm and solid state drives.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by miamirulz29, Jun 4, 2009.

1. miamirulz29 macrumors member

I have been looking to purchase a new mac. I don't know whether I should go with:
    macbook pro with 2.4ghz processor, 4 gb ram, 250 gb hard drive 7200 rpm
    or
    macbook with 2.4 ghz processor, 4 gb ram, 256 gb solid state drive.

1. which one would last longer (cause I heard that solid state drives don't last long, I would like it to run for at least 6-7 years, maybe longer.)
    2. which one is faster

I run programs such as flash 8; do music, video, photo edit; I would like to run windows on it too. The price is maybe like 200 dollar difference (student discount), plus I would not mind a lighter and smaller laptop. Thanks in advance everybody's help.

2. Jota macrumors newbie

SSD. Intel X25-M if you can afford it. OCZ Vertex is also a good choice. Both of them will beat any HDD by far and will last.

3. mrj205 macrumors regular

1. SSD will last longer. No moving parts like a HDD, therefore, less components to wear out/fail. Also uses mcuh less power than a HDD.

2. SSD is much faster and much more efficient.

4. u49aa2 macrumors 6502a

u49aa2

Whoever told you that SSD don't last long, is talking rubbish. If anything it will last longer than rpm. If you have the cash, just go for it, you won't regret it. Follow the old saying; "if rpm HD is a batman, then SSD is a superman" :p. go for the SSD if you have the cash.