Difference between Admin and Root users?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Morod, Mar 25, 2011.

1. Morod macrumors 68000

Morod

This is a really basic question, but I'd like to know the difference between an Admin user and a Root user.
    I run day to day in a Standard account. When something needs to be done, a box asking for Admin info pops up. No problem, so I know what an Admin account is.
    What is a Root user? Is it higher up than an Admin user?
    Any info on this would be great. Thanks!

2. benjamin.willie, Mar 25, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2011

benjamin.willie macrumors newbie

Root

Admin account is an account with escalated privileges compared to a normal user account. i mostly think of windows based administration for the term "admin account" but it has followed over to Mac OSX (and some other Unix flavors). the Root account is like having God-like control over the machine, on most Unix and unix-based OS's. unlike windows implementation in the form of the admin account, root can even remove system files from the Drive while it is cached into RAM.... which would cause the OS not to boot next restart if not corrected. and so on... hope i didn't explain it wrong.... this is just how i see the difference.

in short.... yes, it is a higher privileged account and is turned off on many modern Unix based OS's that are intended for standard users