Difference Between AirPort Express/Extreme Base Station

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ImAti0n, Jan 26, 2013.

1. ImAti0n macrumors newbie

Hey everyone,

I know I'm new, and all and before I get slammed on for asking a question that has probably been answered a hundred times I just need some clarification. Yes I have been doing some searching so I know the basics I guess.

Anyways I just moved into my new apartment, and have been looking at a router to buy. I was thinking of going with the AirPort Extreme simply because I have an Apple TV, 2 Macbooks in the place, iPhones, 1 Xbox that will get hooked up with an Ethernet cable, and in the future a external hard drive to hook up to the router to share over the network. I also download movies/music and obviously stream videos/movies. So would the extreme be a better choice for me over the express?

Thanks everyone for the help

2. ImAti0n thread starter macrumors newbie

I was just reading and saw that the 2TB Time Capsule acts as a router as well.

Would that work with a hardwired xbox, macbooks, iphones, Apple TV, and downloading/streaming music/movies?

3. mfram macrumors 65816

You'll want the Airport Extreme Base Station or Time Capsule. The main reason to get the Time Capsule over the AEBS is if you want to do wireless backups with Time Machine from your Macbooks. The TC includes a disk drive that can be shared over the network. If the answer is yes, get the TC. If not, get the AEBS.