difference between aluminum and white macbook? (helping a friend)

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by superspud, Mar 8, 2009.

1. superspud macrumors regular

ok so my buddy loves my macbook and wants to buy one for himself but I cant really tell him the difference between the new aluminum ones and the white ones aside from $300 and the color of the outer shell....

can someone give us a rundown please? he like the LOOK of the new aluminum ones but for the extra $300 im not sure if its worth it.

if this has been discussed please provide a link :)

2. cjro9 macrumors newbie

-Multi touch trackpad
    -Aluminum Unibody
    -Battery Life
    -Faster processor (2.4ghz model)
    -9400 GPU
    -DDR3 Ram

=)

3. dubhe macrumors 65816

dubhe

It's better, faster, sexier. The white is arguably better value for money, but then so is a Dell :rolleyes:

4. DannySmurf macrumors 6502a

The white, low-end Macbooks also have a 9400 GPU.

5. cjro9 macrumors newbie

Did they recently change that?

6. harmonica01 macrumors 6502

yep, the 2.0 one now for sale 999 has the nvidia 9400m

But, the white has the older ddr2 667mhz ram and majority of the previous generation's interior architecture.

the 9400m helps alot i'd confess but having one of each in my apartment (fiance and my aluminum) even the 2.0ghz aluminum for 250 is worth what comes across as a quieter keyboard, brighter screen and faster machine

7. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

The Alu benefits from-

Extra 40Gb
    DDR3 RAM (but same amount)
    Better screen
    Multi touch
    ~30mins more battery life
    Being aluminium (in case anyone missed that)

White has-

Firewire
    £200/$300 lower price tag.

In my opinion (ie nobody get overheated) the extra money for the Alu is not worth it.

40Gb is nothing as external devices are cheap now or it can be added to white Macbook for little cost, the white MacBook still has a beautiful screen and multi touch, whilst useful, is not a a massive benefit.

So really it comes down to is DDR3 and 30mins worth all that money and losing firewire? I would say no.

8. DannySmurf macrumors 6502a

I suppose that depends on whether you use firewire or not. I don't, so I don't care.

That said, I'm in no danger of dumping my previous-generation Macbook for a new aluminum one. The differences may be worth it for me if I were out looking for a new one. They're certainly not significant enough to warrant (for me) the purchase of an entirely new laptop.

9. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

I know what you mean, I have a few friends with previous MacBooks who like the new ones but don't feel any pressure to upgrade yet. Then again, students don't always have the money to upgrade!

I'm hoping to pick up a MacBook this summer (but only if I do well in my exams!), hopefully with Snow Leopard. I'll probably go for the white one, but even with my own arguments, if I was earning real money it would be hard to turn down the Alu, even when I felt I was paying over the odds...

10. marbles macrumors 68000

marbles

Those that you will notice are the unibody[obviously], the track pad [yeah we got that down as obvious too] the screen is marginally better at viewing angles/picture and that's about it tbh , the ddr3 RAM etc isn't making much difference and they have the exact same graphics, can utilize the same amount of RAM etc .
    Thing is the whitebook is a proven decent notebook, the unibody is on first gen! and more than a few are noticing problems, not that the whitebook is without it's own[before anyone jumps in] but the sensible money is on the whitebook imo, then sell toward the end of the year, and get the next revision of Macbook that they release.

edit , almost forgot, the whitebook has that exclusive firewire port