Difference between Apple Care and HE Warranty?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by solusoracle, Oct 12, 2009.

1. solusoracle macrumors member

I bought my first MBP in October last year from the online UK Higher Education store. I understand that this includes a three year warranty.

Over the past few days, I have had calls from Apple attempting to sell me Apple Care yet these agents are unable to tell me the difference between these warranties other than the phone support which I do not need.

What is the difference between the 3 year Higher Education warranty and Apple Care?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

You get 3 years of phone support too, nothing else, I think. They are just trying to steal your money because you would be paying for nothing. Don't buy it

3. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

The other benefit of Applecare vs the HE warranty is that Apple will offer to uplift the computer if you are not near an Apple Store.
    Also, as Apple Retail stores are not usually good at offering exchanges in the event of hardware problems for items bought online, the Applecare would be a safer bet.

Lastly, for notebooks with integrated batteries you would not have to pay the battery replacement fee if it failed within the 3 years.

I think it is worth the £49 you pay when you buy the machine but would not pay the full retail price for it.

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Oh, didn't know there was so big differences :eek: And if it's only 49£ it sounds it's worth it but it ain't if it's the usual 300£. BTW, thanks for defining my post

5. bcburrows macrumors 6502

bcburrows

Also HE only covers you in the country of your univeristy

6. solusoracle thread starter macrumors member

My nearest store is 180 miles from my house. However, I just cannot bring myself to pay over £200 for such little benefit.

7. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

It's £49 on the HE discount.

8. solusoracle thread starter macrumors member

I think that pricing only applies if you buy Apple Care with the computer. I've had my MBP for almost a year now and Apple have contacted me and quoted £226.