Difference between Back to My Mac and regular sharing/permissions

Discussion in 'macOS' started by estockme, May 26, 2013.

1. estockme macrumors regular

I have been connecting to my imac from my mba for a while through the finder by just setting up sharing permissions for key folders and signing in when both computers are on... now i am trying out back to my mac and trying to figure out the difference (or if the former is messing with the latter)...

From what i can tell it looks exactly the same. for some reason i can see my roommate's imac music folder and i'm not looking at an exact copy of the HD in finder. I also don't have any idea where the option for screen sharing is. help?

----------

WAIT A SECOND! FROM MY IMAC (which i've never used to access my mba it shows a different view when i click on my mba through the network section in finder. clearly it is back to my mac and the grey bar at the top shows screen sharing.

through my mba i have a square in the upper left of the main finder window showing that i am browsing my imac and a disconect... button, but when i click it i cannot disconnect. so i guess i need to somehow disable my sharing and then re-log in through btmm?

2. estockme thread starter macrumors regular

OK... so on my imac the mba shows under DEVICES and i can disconnect easily. on my MBA my imac shows under SHARED and only my external HD is under devices.