Difference between Belkin USB-C Ethernet Dongles?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by scotty588, Nov 22, 2016.

1. scotty588 macrumors 6502

On the Apple website they sell a white Belkin USB-C ethernet dongle for $26. It's sold out online and in all the Apple stores near me till February.

http://www.apple.com/shop/product/HJKF2ZM/A/belkin-usb-c-to-gigabit-ethernet-adapter

Belkin also makes another USB-C ethernet dongle that is black and it is listed on their website for $34.99. It's also sold at various other places online like Amazon, Newegg, B&H etc.

Is there any difference between these 2 besides color? I would prefer to buy the Belkin dongle that Apple sells but I don't really want to wait 7-10 weeks.

2. Brookzy macrumors 601

Brookzy

They are both the same cable underneath, the white one is just a version Belkin made for Apple because Apple were too lazy or embarrassed to do it themselves (see for example the Belkin Lightning splitter cable for iPhone 7). They did the same thing for the Belkin USB-C 3.1 Gen 2 cable they sell - Belkin sells a black version and Apple a white version. Different SKU and packaging but same cable.

(Based on some reading I've done I believe Apple is requesting special SKUs for them so they can keep on top of the rising tide of dangerous USB-C noncompliance.)

3. scotty588 thread starter macrumors 6502

Good to know. Thanks.

Guessing this would probably be the most reliable ethernet dongle to pick up vs some of the other ones? Read some reviews about other ethernet dongles not working when plugged in after the computer has booted. Anyone experiencing these issues with the Belkin adapters?

4. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

I have the white Belkin linked to and it has been working well thus far.

5. Brookzy macrumors 601

Brookzy

Definitely, I would go with the Belkin one from Apple.

6. pshifrin macrumors 6502

pshifrin

The black one works, I have one. I bet it's the same chip inside.

7. scotty588 thread starter macrumors 6502

Any issues such as needing to have it connected before you power on or does it pick it up just find when connecting it after you are in MacOS?

8. pshifrin macrumors 6502

pshifrin

None what so ever. It's plug and play. No driver needed. Fully supports vlans at our office.