Difference between buy a new phone vs replace phone for Iphone SE

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by electronicsguy, Apr 12, 2016.

1. electronicsguy macrumors 6502a

electronicsguy

I was thinking of turning in my Iphone 5 for the Iphone SE. I am currently on Verizon (no more contract). I used the Apple store app to check availability of a 64GB phone.

It has 2 options: "Replace this phone (on my Verizon account") and "But a new phone (on existing wireless carrier account or SIM-free)".

this seems very confusing to me. What exactly is the difference? I want to buy the phone outright by paying the full amount (minus the trade-in value for my existing phone is that's possible). Which option should I be choosing here? I still want to remain with verizon and just put the existing sim card into the new phone. To me, it seems either option may be ok.

also, if I got with the 2nd option, it again asks me to choose between Verizon or Sim-free. What's the catch?

2. SurFaceMac, Apr 12, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2016
  3. electronicsguy thread starter macrumors 6502a

electronicsguy

why? Is there any reason you think I'll get a better deal there? I don't think there's any reason to. point out if there is one.

4. chscag macrumors 68000

Since you're in India... are there any Apple stores nearby? You can trade in your iPhone 5 for a SE, however, I'm not sure how much Apple will give you for it. I traded in a 5c for 6s+ and received a $100 trade in value. I don't know what your choices will be with Verizon since you're not stateside.

5. dave006 macrumors 68020

Since you want to keep your existing Nano-SIM, you should chose the SIM-Free iPhone SE. It will not have a pre-installed Nano-SIM and you will be able to just move your existing Nano-SIM to the new iPhone SE and activate the device. Apple will take your existing iPhone 5 and discount the final price for the iPhone SE.

The option to purchase a Verizon iPhone SE includes a new pre-installed Verizon Nano-SIM that is going to be preconfigured for activation on your current line of service. Once you complete the activation steps, your existing Nano-SIM will be deactivated and you new Nano-SIM will be active on your account.

Dave
    --- Post Merged, Apr 12, 2016 ---
    No real advantage to going to a Verizon store unless they have better stock for the iPhone SE that you wnat and Apple does not where/when you want to purchase. :D

Dave

6. electronicsguy thread starter macrumors 6502a

electronicsguy

I'm in the US currently.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 12, 2016 ---
    Isn't a "Verizon" Iphone SE simply a Sim-free Iphone SE with a sim?

7. matt_on_a_mtn Suspended

Yes and no. It is, in the sense that it's an unlocked iPhone with a sim already in it. No in the sense that Verizon will bend you over and charge you with an activation fee should you activate that SIM.

My recommendation is unanimously to buy outright and use your own SIM, regardless of how you buy the iPhone. I prefer Best Buy for it, as when you buy a Verizon phone outright they literally just hand it to you, still wrapped and unactivated. Then you can swap your sim as you please - which I generally do right at the counter. It's fast, easy, and they'll price match any deals.

8. dave006, Apr 12, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2016

dave006 macrumors 68020

Sort of but not exactly. They have different model numbers from Apple. So while they are functionally the same based on the Bands supported, there are slight physical differences.

It also depends on how you purchase the Verizon model. The SIM-free is only available as "Pay in full". The Verizon can be purchased as: Pay in full or on contract with Verizon from $49*.

Dave

9. rsbacon macrumors member

rsbacon

Since you're paying full price, you should select 'Buy a new phone' and then select 'Sim-Free' and then your color, storage etc.

If you're looking to add a new line to your existing Verizon account, however, you should select 'Buy a new phone', then select 'Verizon' and then your color, storage, etc.

The difference between choosing the 'Verizon' and 'Sim-Free' options is that a Sim-Free device can be purchased 'Device only' and you can leave the store without activation. You also don't need to provide your Verizon account info to reserve the phone for pick-up

For the SE, the iPhone model for Sim-Free is the same as Verizon and works flawlessly on the Verizon network.

10. electronicsguy thread starter macrumors 6502a

electronicsguy

well so in effect, it DOES mean that as far as a user is concerned, a "Verizon phone" = Sim-free phone with a Verizon sim.

11. dave006 macrumors 68020

No it is not the same or Apple would not need or chose to sell multiple models. Now if you want to say that once a Verizon iPhone SE is carrier unlocked then it is equal to an iPhone SE SIM-free in service / function, then your "customer" comment would be valid.

Note: Apple over the years have moved the SIM-free version around a couple of times. This time it covers the same Bands as Verizon, this has not always been the case. :oops::(;)

Dave

12. C DM macrumors Westmere

Technically Verizon's model is factory unlocked, and since it appears to be the same model as the SIM-free one in this case, it's effectively the same thing it would seem.

13. dave006 macrumors 68020

The Verizon model is not factory unlocked. It is just not allowed to carrier locked in the USA for 4G LTE.

If you are basing your model information base on this page: http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/#iphone-se then yes they are the same model for LTE Band coverage. However, when you purchase the iPhone SE for Verizon it will show a different model number than the comparable SIM-free model on the Settings > General > About > Model (information is different between the iPhone SE SIM-free and the iPhone SE Verizon for the exact color/storage combination). Please see the list below.

Technically Verizon models are only required to be 4G LTE GSM unlocked in the USA due to an agreement with the FCC and spectrum that Verizon purchased. There is a very long thread here in the forum discussing issues with Verizon iPhones that are supposed to be factory unlocked but are not unlocked for international use. Here is the thread and it is a very messy discussion: http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/verizon-iphone-6-6-plus-some-locked-against-international-use.1846197/

Listing of SIM-free vs Verizon Wireless Model / Part Numbers:

iPhone SE SIM-free Unlocked

iPhone SE 16GB Silver SIM-free MLLX2LL/A
    iPhone SE 64GB Silver SIM-free MLME2LL/A
    iPhone SE 16GB Gold SIM-free MLY12LL/A
    iPhone SE 64GB Gold SIM-free MLY32LL/A
    iPhone SE 16GB Space Gray SIM-free MLLW2LL/A
    iPhone SE 64GB Space Gray SIM-free MLMD2LL/A
    iPhone SE 16GB Rose Gold SIM-free MLY22LL/A
    iPhone SE 64GB Rose Gold SIM-free MLY42LL/A

Verizon Wireless

iPhone SE 16GB Silver Verizon MLM02LL/A
    iPhone SE 64GB Silver Verizon MLMG2LL/A
    iPhone SE 16GB Gold Verizon MLY52LL/A
    iPhone SE 64GB Gold Verizon MLY72LL/A
    iPhone SE 16GB Space Gray Verizon MLLY2LL/A
    iPhone SE 64GB Space Gray Verizon MLMF2LL/A
    iPhone SE 16GB Rose Gold Verizon MLY62LL/A
    iPhone SE 64GB Rose Gold Verizon MLY82LL/A
    Dave

14. C DM macrumors Westmere

There seem to be a small number of devices that apparently have some issues, but aside from those Verizon iPhones as of iPhone 5 have been domestically and internationally unlocked from the factory.

15. electronicsguy thread starter macrumors 6502a

electronicsguy

You're going on and on about model numbers, which is pointless. It's the internals that matter, not the model numbers. If Apple tomorrow sold, say, every Iphone 7 with different model numbers, does it make them different? No.

If you're saying they're different because of inherent different internals, then I'd like to see something to backup that claim.

16. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

OP, I'd find a local Apple Store that has the color you want and drive over there. Tell them you want to trade in your 5 and apply any credit you get toward paying for the SE in full (there is no use going to a Verizon Store TBH). The Associate should ask you your carrier so they can ensure they bring the correct model out from the back.

17. dave006 macrumors 68020

No, model numbers matter and are not pointless. The model number for example determines: the price you can get on the resale market, how your device is registered in the Apple activation servers and what you get as a warranty exchange for your "model". You always get the same model (there is some magic that happens here). :)

Now, your random iPhone 7 comment. Yes it might be the same hardware or different for the iPhone 7, we don't have one yet for reference, unless you have been holding back on us and you have one already. :rolleyes:

Apple has a well documented history of offering different carrier versions within an iPhone series. We don't have an iPhone 7 to use as an example so let's use the Verizon iPhone SE since that is what you started this thread about...o_O

You never asked if were any "inherent" physical internal differences between a Verizon iPhone SE and a SIM-Free iPhone SE until now. You only asked why there was a Verizon iPhone SE and a SIM-free iPhone SE and what was different. I think we have covered the key differences already. But there is more...keep reading it is fun.

So let's play a game. I will say that in this specific case they have exactly the same BOM aka the same part list since they both use the Model A1662 identifier on the Apple.com site. So let us assume they share the same physical internals unless you can prove otherwise.

The differences begin with the retail box and the inclusion or exclusion of a Nano-SIM, moving on to the inclusion or exclusion of a SIM extractor (only available inbox with the SIM-free). Next we get to the backend system processing based on what you purchase. Apple will have your iPhone SE registered in the activation database as domestically and internationally unlocked and if you purchased the Verizon iPhone SE, the information will be made available to Verizon and include the IMEI/MEID and ICCID of the Nano-SIM.

Now you might say: hey I just want to buy a Verizon iPhone SE at the Apple store and not have it tied to my existing Verizon account and be preset for a Verizon activation using the new Verizon Nano-SIM. The Apple sales rep has the ability to override the standard purchase workflow and not have your Verizon iPhone SE activated. This would allow you to reuse your existing Verizon Nano-SIM that you mentioned that you wanted to reuse in your original post.:cool:

So now using your post that I quoted above as a basis: what on earth is the iPhone SE Model A1723. Based on Apple.com, it has different Cellular / Wireless specifications. So does it have different internals or is there some other Apple magic going on here! :eek:

Model A1662* ( SIM-free, Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile and others )
    • LTE (Bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 8, 12, 13, 17, 18, 19, 20, 25, 26, 29)
    • CDMA EV‑DO Rev. A (800, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz)
    • UMTS/HSPA+/DC‑HSDPA (850, 900, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz)
    • GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)
    Model A1723* ( Sprint, Boost and others )
    • LTE (Bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 12, 17, 18, 19, 20, 25, 26, 28)
    • TD‑LTE (Bands 38, 39, 40, 41)
    • TD‑SCDMA 1900 (F), 2000 (A)
    • CDMA EV‑DO Rev. A (800, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz)
    • UMTS/HSPA+/DC‑HSDPA (850, 900, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz)
    • GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)

Note: Apple uses the term Model in different ways depending on what may be the phase of the moon. For example: the LTE page lists a model A1662 for both the SIM-free model and for AT&T, Verizon and numerous other carriers. Then then use MLMG2LL/A for example as the part number on a Verizon iPhone SE box. Once you turn on the iPhone and go to Settings > General > About > Model - you get MLMG2LL/A. :eek:

Dave

18. electronicsguy thread starter macrumors 6502a

electronicsguy

Ok FYI for others: the above post by Dave is moot. I checked with Verizon and apple support. - the Verizon phone is the same as a sim-free phone with a verizon sim, period. enjoy :)

19. dave006 macrumors 68020

OK FYI for everyone: the above post by "electonicsguy" is moot. I checked with my Mom and she said that Apple would not sell both an SIM-free iPhone SE and a Verizon iPhone SE if they were the same thing.....

Maybe you should call Tim Cook and tell him that he is wasting time selling both versions. :cool::D:eek:

Dave

20. SurFaceMac, Apr 13, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2016
  21. electronicsguy thread starter macrumors 6502a

electronicsguy

I didn't have to. already did it. the website does indeed give a value. no need to goto verizon.

22. dave006 macrumors 68020

As "electronicsguy" indicated below, you can trade in your iPhone via the web site. They use a third party to handle the return. There is a slight risk that they may reject it an cause a delay in getting your gift card by mail. You run a similar risk taking the iPhone to the store for the trade-in as they can be very picky about the condition also. It really is about an even risk either way.

SurFaceMac, you can read more abou the Trade-in program here: http://www.apple.com/iphone/trade-in/

Good Choice, let us know how it goes.

Dave