Difference between CCFL and LED

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zeiter, Mar 1, 2008.

1. zeiter macrumors 6502

Hey guys,

I'm sorry I got soooo many questions lately. Thank you for all your patience and your answers. I never thought choosing a laptop would be that hard.

I know what the difference is technically. I am just wondering in a normal usage if you guys would really notice the quality difference between both of them? Is the contrast ratio higher and very noticeable using LED over CCFL. I know LED is brighter but I have read somewhere CCFL becomes as bright after 30 minutes of activity.

Thank you

2. creator2456 macrumors 68000

creator2456

Why would you want to wait 30 minutes to get full brightness when you could get it right away?

And yes, CCFL will get as bright as LED after some time but this only lasts until the CCFL starts to age. My MBP is going on 2 years and I would say my CCFL backlight is 90% what it was on day one. If I had an LED screen it would still be 100%.

3. ChrisN macrumors 65816

ChrisN

Also, LEDs dont have any as many chemicals in them and they consumer less power but they get brighter longer and last longer.

ChrisN

4. MediaRyan macrumors member

Is there any noticeable difference between the 2 when it comes to viewing angles from the side?

5. rezonat0r macrumors 6502

LED backlights have better viewing angles, can display a larger color gamut, and are much more power efficient. You'd be crazy to not go with LED.

6. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

x2 with this and pretty much everything everybody else said.