Difference between charger between Series 0 and 4?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Gmouse, Nov 2, 2018.

1. Gmouse macrumors regular

I have a bedside watch/phone holder with the watch charger mounted in a pedestal, so that you can have the watch positioned to show time at night. I got it with my first, Series 0, watch and the charger with that watch is still in it. I purchased a charger with the long cable at the same time to use when traveling, and have used these two ever since, with Series 1, 2, 3, and now 4.

First thing I noticed with the Series 4 (with LTE) is that it seems weighted differently and twists in the charger to no longer stay horizontal (this is using the same leather band I've had since Series 2, so band's not a factor). Second thing I noticed is it seems to need to be positioned more carefully, or it won't start charging (have to wiggle it a bit) and it also seems not to have as strong of a magnetic attraction as the previous Series'. I'm at latest version of Watch OS, so...it's not the charging issue associated with the initial version.

I tested it with my other charger and found the same issues. I then tested it with the charger that came with the Series 4, and not only does it seem to fit better, but, has the strong magnetic attraction as before.

I kinda doubt the magnet lost strength in my two chargers, but wondering instead if the new sensor array presents a slightly-different shape and amount of steel present, so that the Series 4 charger had to be redesigned to fit and attract?

Not a show-stopper, but have others noticed this, too?

2. Dormammu macrumors 65816

Dormammu

A mysterious location in the middle of nowhere
    Someone here has mentioned to me the chargers are different. I don’t see a difference though. Apple also only sells one type of Apple Watch charging puck. There isn’t a puck they sell for the S3 and S4 separately. This implies to me they should be interchangeable.

3. Julien macrumors G4

Julien

The difference is S0 charging pucks have a longer cable.

4. nasa25 macrumors 65816

yup s0 had a 2m cable. s3 and s4 came with a 1m cable.

5. Cowboy1629 macrumors 6502

Cowboy1629

Haven’t received my S4 yet but do have 2 of the longer cables from my S0 so I will probably keep using them if they work the same.

6. srshaw macrumors 6502

I didn't even take the s4 charger out of the box. My s0 works fine with both s0 and s4.