Difference between CPU models

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macman4789, Aug 10, 2010.

1. macman4789 macrumors regular

Hi guys,

I understand that some of the early core 2 duo's are different than the current core 2 duo's being used in the current 13" MBP's. I understand that some are T8000 series or T9000 series (I think??).

My question really is what is the difference between the earleir C2D's used and the current ones. Some of the earlier ones seem to have more L2 cache, do the newer ones run on a lower voltage? Have a different chip? Are quicker/slower?

Thanks

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

The newer ones are built using a smaller process (65nm for the older models and 45nm for the new models) which means they run cooler and are more power efficient.

Technologically they are pretty much the same save for a few changes here and there (like bug fixes, more or less cache for different parts).

3. macman4789 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for your reply, so does that mean more L2 cache is better because the older ones seem to have more cache.

Thanks

4. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

More memory is always better, but the P series run at 25W (high end model 28W) rather than 35W which is the case for the T series

Here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penryn_(microprocessor)