Difference between DEAD pixels and STUCK pixels?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by phame, May 14, 2010.

1. phame macrumors newbie

So after waiting 4 weeks my High-res Glossy MBP FINALLY arrived...I was so happy.

Got home switched it on and WOW it really is a beautiful machine...After using it for about 30 mins however i noticed a small dot to the lower right half of the screen...

I looked closer and realized it was either a dead or stuck pixel( I dont exactly know the difference).

I did a few test on it, and its ONLY visible when a light color is on the screen (White, Gray etc) However when the screen is DARK blue, Dark green or black it cant be seen at all...

It kind of looks like a TINY speck of water or liquid the size of 1 pixel stuck under the glass...

I noticed that it does get lighter and darker when i adjust the brightness of the screen.

Can anybody give me some tips? Anything i can do to fix it? Is it in fact a dead or a stuck pixel?

I tried the JSscreen fix which is basically a online tool that opens up a flashing screen...Ive had it on for about 30 mins...but no luck:(

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

If it's black, it's likely a dead one. Stuck ones are usually red or some other colour

3. phame thread starter macrumors newbie

I actually cant really tell the color...Like i said it kind of looks like a tiny bit of liquid..But it goes away on a black screen which leads me to believe that it may in fact be black...still not sure though

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Seems to be a dead one then. Where is it? Does it really annoy you?

5. phame thread starter macrumors newbie

its to the bottom right of the screen...about 2 1/2 inches from the botom and 2 1/2 inches from the right...

It bothers me a bit...After waiting 4 weeks and spending over 2000 USD on this thing i expected it to be PERFECT!!!:(

Will apple exchange it because of only 1 dead pixel? How common are dead pixels in apple displays?

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

You have 14 days to return or get a replacement. Dead and stuck pixels exist and are common in all consumer LCDs