Difference between genuine white iPhone and converted ones?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Kirain, Jan 2, 2012.

1. Kirain macrumors newbie

So I have my black iPhone 4 for a little over a year now and at one point I gave my phone to someone to hold and when I got it back there was a slight crack on the front screen.

Looking for ways to repair the crack, I found on craigslist most people doing the front screen + LCD for ~$80 and the back for ~$20. Some were offering color conversions for ~$100 as well. So I was thinking since I'm going to have to fork out $80, why not just pay an extra $20 and turn my iPhone white.

That's when I started reading into OEM and grade A parts. Now, I don't really mind so long as they look exactly like the real parts. From what I've read so far (and I'd like someone to confirm), the white front screen's proximity censor must be a black pill shape instead of a bunch of dots for it to look like the real white iPhone right?

Another thing is that the headphone jack and dock connector will have to also change to white as well. If I change all of these, will it look exactly like a white iPhone? I want to make it so that my friends can't tell I converted my black one into a white one. :D

Edit: I know I have to also change the back and home buttons. When people say color conversions, do they usually include the headphone jack and dock connector? Cause I see a lot of pictures that only include the front, back and home button.

2. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

What do you need to change the headphone jack for?

3. miss.manson macrumors 6502a

miss.manson

you pretty much answered your own question...Although as long as the front, back, and home button are white, how will anyone know it was originally black to begin with? Other than looking into the dock connector or the headphone jack..but why would anyone do that?Just make sure the proximity sensor looks like a legit white one would.

4. Kirain thread starter macrumors newbie

I like to do things to the best of my ability, I don't want it to look half-assed with white front, back and home button but then the headphone jack and dock connector is still black.

5. miss.manson macrumors 6502a

miss.manson

For the record, I didn't even know the dock connector & headphone jack are black with black iphones and vise versa. I can't imagine a lot of other people knowing this too and pointing it out, tbh.

6. dsquared81 macrumors 6502

Dont let your friends plug it into iTunes then. They'll see that it was black in the summary tab