Difference between GPU cards?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Gerri Shin, Aug 24, 2010.

1. Gerri Shin macrumors member

If this question seems ridiculous ease forgive me, but I was wondering what the real world difference between the ATI radeon 5770 & 5870 cards is?
    I have a Mac pro 1,1 and it currently has dual GeForce 7300s in it. I'm looking to upgraded the main gnu to something better and these cards seem the best right now (if they work in the 1,1)

Does the 5770 card work in the 1,1 model? A comment on the Apple product page says it does since ATI bundles support for both EFI32 & EFI64 in their cards, but I'm still a little wary.

Lastly, if the Hd 5xxx cards won't work in the 1,1 model, what would be the best upgrade option for me?

2. keithos27 macrumors regular

i too would like to know the difference in these two cards being offered now. can anyone specify what the differences are?

-keith

3. goMac macrumors 603

I'd hold on that for now... No one has tested in a Mac Pro 1,1, and there are a few issues with the 2008 Mac Pros.

The 5870 is faster than the 5770, double the specs.

Your best upgrade option would be the 4870, if the 5X70 didn't work.

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

http://www.anandtech.com/show/2856
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/2841

As said above, 5870 is theoretically about twice as fast but it's not that in every case. It won't make your Safari twice as fast :rolleyes:

I heard Cindori saying something that the EFI in 5xxx is EBC or something which is compatible with all Mac Pros but I would wait little longer to get confirmation

5. Gerri Shin thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for pointing out the double specs. I compared the generic cards at the store, but the boxes were identical.
    I will be waiting to see if the Apple version will work in the 1,1 (I think Barefeats said they would test it soon), but in the case that the 5xxx cards don't work, what would be my best option?

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

If you're comfortable with flashing, find a used ATI 4890 and flash it. Otherwise, it's the ATi 4870 from Apple