Difference between Home Screen and Spring Board

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by xoox, Jan 25, 2010.

1. xoox macrumors newbie

I come across these two terms and sometimes they appear interchangeable. Any idea what the difference is between these two terms. Or do they mean the same?

2. techwarrior macrumors 6502

techwarrior

xoox, I have always thought of Home Screen as the first springboard screen, and springboard is a more general term for the launch screen(s). On mine, they are one and the same as I jailbroke and use Categories to organize over 110 apps into folders that fit on a single screen.

3. xoox thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi techwarrior

Thanks for your reply, but I don't think you are completely right..Because I've seen people mention about the 9 home screen limit now being removed on iPhone OS 3.x and so on..

4. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

I believe the spring board is the name for the bottom row of apps (that has the mesh background behind it and appears on every screen) while the home screen is just the name for the screen(s) with the apps. I could be wrong, though.

[​IMG]

5. xoox thread starter macrumors newbie

6. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

7. xoox thread starter macrumors newbie

8. xoox thread starter macrumors newbie

I was just told that Homescreen is for non-jailbroken iPhones and Springboard is for the jailbroken ones. Is that right?

9. xoox thread starter macrumors newbie

I was just told that Homescreen is for non-jailbroken iPhones and Springboard is for the jailbroken ones. Is that right?

10. pixelated macrumors 6502a

pixelated

Techwarrior is right. Did it not cross your mind that your other source could be wrong?

11. bradenwh macrumors 6502

Both terms mean the exact same thing. There is no difference between jailbroken and iPhones with stock firmware. "Home screen" is what people usually say. It's general, and easy to understand. "SpringBoard" is the same thing, but it's the technical term for it. "SpringBoard" is also the actual process that is running on the iPhone that is kind of the backbone of the phone. It keeps everything running. Similar to Finder on a Mac or Windows Explorer on a PC.

In short, the two terms mean the EXACT same thing. Some people just prefer to use one term over another.