Difference between iCloud Photo Library and Photo Stream?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by TC03, Aug 4, 2014.

1. TC03 macrumors 65816

I'm confused that Photo Stream still seems to exist. I thought iCloud Photo Library would replace that. Does anyone know what's going on?

[​IMG]

2. fredcintra macrumors member

I think photo stream will be on until photos app for mac is released

3. BrettDS macrumors 65816

There are a few big differences. IPL will hold all of your photos and videos indefinitely. PS only holds photos and only holds them for 30 days. It also has a max of 1000 photos. Photos and videos stored on IPL take up space in iCloud. Photos in the PS do not take up iCloud space. IPL also can help you store and access more photos and videos than your device can hold because it can be configured to only keep a low res copy of the image on your device to save space.

Personally I think IPL is a much better solution and I'm looking forward to using it, but I think PS could still be useful in some situations and I think the two features can coexist.

In the previous betas, though, if you turned IPL on it would automatically turn PS off. I'm not sure there's a need to have both on at once. I'm not sure if the fact that they're both enabled at once is a bug or just a change in beta 5.

4. Rahul45692 macrumors newbie

Hello People, i wanted to upload my photos on to my mac from photos application in my iphone so i decided to use icloud and photostream when from settings i started icloud then to photos i clicked icloud photo library and after that all my photos disappeared it said this "automatically upload and store your entire library in icloud to access photos and videos from all your devices" i am not able to find my photos in iphotos of my mac...please help me i had almost 1000 photos...where did icloud took my photos..

5. Little Angel macrumors newbie

If I enable icloud my photo stream pics disappear.

Any advice?

LA

6. theWozinator macrumors member

Hmm. I don't have this option. Settings -> iCloud -> Photos, right? :(

7. jasonordeholmes macrumors newbie

Is anyone else having the issue where "iCloud Photo Library (beta)" option isn't in the photos settings page?

I have an iPhone 5c and a 5s both running the GM seed, the 5c is fine but I can't see the iCloud photo toggle on the 5s.... Very odd...

8. taran420 macrumors 6502a

Same. Can't find this option on my iPhone 5

9. BrettDS macrumors 65816

I have this issue as well. My wife and I have been using the iOS 8 beta's since day one and have been using IPL all along. It was still available and enabled for us with the GM seed. However, I installed the GM seed on my kids iPad mini's, none of which had an iOS 8 beta installed and the option is not there for them.

I'm wondering if it's only available for developers who had been using it in a beta and it won't be available to the masses yet. I had trouble watching the event yesterday as the stream kept failing, but I don't believe they mentioned IPL at all.

This is a bit of a disappointment because it's one of the features I was looking forward to for my kids since they've all maxed out their storage with photos and videos. I'm debating installing beta 5 on their devices before it expires and enabling IPL, then going back to to the GM seed. I'll probably also try to reset all settings on one of them and see if that makes a difference too.