Difference between iPod Classic and Previous Generation iPod?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by TSE, Jun 17, 2008.

1. TSE macrumors 68030

Is there a difference between the iPod Classic and the Previous Generation iPod besides the sizes and the fact that iPod Classics have aluminum fronts?

I am looking to buy the previous generation 30 GB iPod from Apple for $170, is this a good deal?

2. alexlovesmacs macrumors 6502a

the user interface is different

3. iknowyourider macrumors 6502a

iknowyourider

I think it's a good deal. I have that generation ( 5th ). It will play movies on your TV with a $10 cable from wal-mart. I heard that the classic requires a special apple cable that cost $50.

4. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

The classic has more storage, better battery life and compatibility with the iTunes rental system. The interface is different, don't know if it's better but it looks a lot nicer, there is a metal plate behind the screen making it a fair bit stronger and resistant to screen cracks. The aluminium front resists scratches a lot better then the 5G and the screen is optical glass so it's tougher against the effects of keys and headphones in your pocket - no more scratchy screens.

5G is cheaper, can do video out from the headphone port but cannot play iTunes rented video content and has had some issues with recent purchased video content.

I think the classic is a much better item but you've got ask if all that is worth the extra cost.

5. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

The Classic is a nice update...I went from a 5G to a 6G, and it was well worth the money(for me)

6. alexlovesmacs macrumors 6502a

i recomend the classic because i use to have a 5G and it got scratches all over and the screen had a huge scratch it was a great ipod but buy the classic you will have more space for your music and movies

7. skythefly13 macrumors 6502

Changes...

The only big changes are more battery life, new (but not the best) UI, slow coverflow, and thats pretty much it!

8. TSE thread starter macrumors 68030

I think I might opt for the 5th generation iPod. I like the look better then the aluminum and I don't have a lot of money.

9. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

Classic has lots more storage capacity in the same size package, better battery life, some new useful software features like selecting to jump to the first letter of an item in a huge list instead of having to endlessly scroll through the whole gigantic list of artists or song names, much better built in games, coverflow, supposedly more sturdy physically, and lots more little things here and there.

The only things you lose are very minor, including being able to output video to a tv using a non-proprietary cable, the ability to use it with a computer running OS 10.3 panther since the classic requires OS 10.4 tiger or 10.5 leopard, the ability to read long album or artist names in the now playing screen, a clock screen saver when you stay in the hold position that some people don't like, and a bunch of other very insignificant things

In other words, the classic has better battery life, much greater storage capacity, and then a whole bunch of small but significant improvements that add up to a whole lot.

EDIT: but if money is tight, the 5.5 is still a great and very capable machine.

10. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

The Classic is the better system (interface, battery life) but for me it's not worth the upgrade. 5G iPods can be very cheap now and I'd rather rebuy an 80gb 5G than an 80gb 6G. Though I really don't like the new enclosure.

160gb could tempt me away. That's a ruddy load of videos!

11. Squonk macrumors 65816

Squonk

Don't forget that you can get a refurb of the 80GB model for $209 from Apple. So, for only $40 more you get the current model and 80GB instead of 30GB. I'd go Classic!