Difference between iWork and iWork Family Pack?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Sir Loin Steak, Mar 31, 2009.

1. Sir Loin Steak macrumors 6502

Sir Loin Steak

Indeed, is there a difference?

I notice that Family costs more than the other one, but I can't make out what difference there is in the description.

2. ceezy3000 macrumors 6502

ceezy3000

u can install the family one on multiple computers where as the single user can is only meant to install on one computer, (not really, ive installed single user three times, i bet i could install as much as i wanted)

3. jnolas2 macrumors member

Like was said above, the difference is that with the Family Pack you are licensed to install it on five computers. The cheaper iWork comes with a license to install on one computer. It's on basically an honor system, so while you can install the single license version on multiple Macs, it goes against the licensing agreement.

4. Sir Loin Steak thread starter macrumors 6502

Sir Loin Steak

In that case, their website is incorrect - it says that you can install the 'standard' iWork on up to five household computers.

I thought that this might have been the difference (the licence I mean).

Thanks for now.

5. filman408 macrumors regular

From iWork 09 product page:
    Install the iWork ’09 Family Pack* on up to five Mac computers in your household.

It says NOTHING about the single pack being able to be installed on 5 machines from a license perspective.

6. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

The software itself is exactly the same.

All you get is a license saying you can legally install it on more than one computer

7. Sir Loin Steak thread starter macrumors 6502

Sir Loin Steak

I think what I found confusing was the way that the text about the single licence installation refers to the multi-computer installation.

Anyway, problem solved: I will only have one Mac, and no other computer(s) so I'm getting the single licence, not surprisingly.

Cheers for clarifying.

SlS

8. iboost79 macrumors member

This is where some of that Apple Tax kicks in. iLife 09 or iWork 09, single or family versions, have no difference at all. In fact, there are no serial numbers that you have to enter in. That means, you could buy the single version and install it on all of your computers. As long as you not profiting from installing software on other people's machines, then you not doing anything illegal.

And this could be reason #2 of why I left Apple Retail.