Difference between Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 and GMX A-2.1?

dferigmu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 3, 2004
Washington, DC
I think I've decided on getting a Klipsch 2.1 speaker system because they seem to be getting the best user reviews.

What I'm stumped on is what the difference is between the ProMedia 2.1 and GMX A-2.1 models. Is there a difference in quality? Is one preferred over the other? Naturally, I am inclined to buy the newer model, the GMX A-2.1, but I'm not sure if there's a difference between the two since a lot of you have actually suggested the ProMedia model.

Flyinace2000

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2004
dferigmu said:
I think I've decided on getting a Klipsch 2.1 speaker system because they seem to be getting the best user reviews.

What I'm stumped on is what the difference is between the ProMedia 2.1 and GMX A-2.1 models. Is there a difference in quality? Is one preferred over the other? Naturally, I am inclined to buy the newer model, the GMX A-2.1, but I'm not sure if there's a difference between the two since a lot of you have actually suggested the ProMedia model.
I know this is going to look sketchy but i found a place selling those speakers for $50 + shipping. They are open box units but i know people that have ordered them and recieved them without any issues. I ordered a set last night so i will personally check them out on monday or tuesday.

Check it out here
http://forums.slickdeals.net/t84681.html?

Much luck.

-Will

Jigglelicious

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2004
NYC
The Klipsch Promedia 2.1's are of much higher quality and sound a good deal better than the GMX line of speakers.

dferigmu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 3, 2004
Washington, DC
Jigglelicious said:
The Klipsch Promedia 2.1's are of much higher quality and sound a good deal better than the GMX line of speakers.
Really? I'm not saying you're making it up, but how do you know? Have you tried both?

rkphoto

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2005
BROOKLYN
All I can say is that I have the Pro Media 2.1 system and it is incredible. The sound is truly amazing. They sound better than ANY other computer speakers I've heard (and I listened to all of them when I was shopping- Bose, Logitech, Harman Kardon, Altec Lansing, etc.). The GMX-A system sounded good but not close to as good as the Pro Media system plus I personally think the GMX speakers are really ugly.

Go buy the Pro Media system, you'll love it.

Jigglelicious

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2004
NYC
dferigmu said:
Really? I'm not saying you're making it up, but how do you know? Have you tried both?
I own a pair of Promedia 2.1's. And although I have never heard the GMX in person, I have read plenty of reviews and read enough user testimonials to know to avoid the GMX series.

dferigmu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 3, 2004
Washington, DC
Jigglelicious said:
I own a pair of Promedia 2.1's. And although I have never heard the GMX in person, I have read plenty of reviews and read enough user testimonials to know to avoid the GMX series.
Oh ok. I guess the Promedia 2.1's are the speaker system to get. But what about the multiple reviews on Amazon about the Promedia 2.1's feeling cheap and crapping out after a short while?

Rob587

macrumors 6502a
Jul 4, 2004
Orlando, FL
where can I find a place to test these puppys out? they "sound"(no pun intended), really nice! I really like the clarity of the new creative I-trigue's, im just not sure if they ofer enough base. Are the pro medias better then the new creatives I speak of?

rkphoto

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2005
BROOKLYN
I got my Klipsch Pro Media 2.1 system @ Best Buy. It was set up next to Bose Companion 3 setup that cost $100 more and the Klipsch sound way better.

dferigmu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 3, 2004
Washington, DC
rkphoto said:
I got my Klipsch Pro Media 2.1 system @ Best Buy. It was set up next to Bose Companion 3 setup that cost $100 more and the Klipsch sound way better.
Do they still sell them at Best Buy? I thought the GMX series was an update to the Promedia series.

Sleix

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2003
Thousand Oaks, CA
dferigmu said:
Do they still sell them at Best Buy? I thought the GMX series was an update to the Promedia series.
They're not an update, rather a cheapening of the better ones, with aesthetics to fool you into thinking they updated 'em to be better than the previous model...

GMX 2.1 = 14W/Channel, Sub=50W
ProM 2.1 = 55W/Channel, Sub=50W

More wattage to outer channels means a much crisper, more defined sound, less susceptable to "breaking up" at high volume. Where the GMX has looks, the ProMedia has better sound (and THX Certification to boot!) ;)

Jigglelicious

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2004
NYC
dferigmu said:
Oh ok. I guess the Promedia 2.1's are the speaker system to get. But what about the multiple reviews on Amazon about the Promedia 2.1's feeling cheap and crapping out after a short while?
The sub certainly does not feel cheap (its heavy and very sturdy), but the sat's do feel slightly cheap (they are just a plastic shell, like most multimedia speakers). However, the sound quality makes up for any build/aesthetic qualities they lack. I've had my Promedia's for 2 years and they still work perfectly, and my friend has the Promedia 4.1 set for a good 5 years now and work perfectly too.

If you want something thats truly built to last, and with even better sound quality than the Klipsch, take a look at the Swan M200's. They are easily some of the best multimedia speakers money can buy, especially if you listen mostly to music. And they are built like a tank, too.

dferigmu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 3, 2004
Washington, DC
Sleix said:
They're not an update, rather a cheapening of the better ones, with aesthetics to fool you into thinking they updated 'em to be better than the previous model...

GMX 2.1 = 14W/Channel, Sub=50W
ProM 2.1 = 55W/Channel, Sub=50W

More wattage to outer channels means a much crisper, more defined sound, less susceptable to "breaking up" at high volume. Where the GMX has looks, the ProMedia has better sound (and THX Certification to boot!) ;)
I think I have found my speakers. The Klipsch Promedia's seem like the 2.1 speaker system to get. Thanks!

Chrispy

macrumors 68020
Dec 27, 2004
Indiana
Flyinace2000 said:
I know this is going to look sketchy but i found a place selling those speakers for $50 + shipping. They are open box units but i know people that have ordered them and recieved them without any issues. I ordered a set last night so i will personally check them out on monday or tuesday.

Check it out here
http://forums.slickdeals.net/t84681.html?

Much luck.

-Will
I ordered some of these becuase I could not pass up that kind of price. These speakers are AWESOME!!! They arrived within a week of ordering and they are in PERFECT condition. I have no complaints right now at all. If there are still any left I say go for it! These are seriously the best sounding computer speakers I have ever heard. I listen to a lot of different types of music and the music I noticed the most difference in was my Final Fantasy music collection. There are sounds in the songs that I never even noticed before. Go for these all the way if you can :)

AstroManLuca

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2005
Minnesota
I have these. That is where I bought them from - pretty good deal. $75 (including shipping, and these are BIG speakers) for a 188W subwoofer and four 53W satellites (though you'll only be able to use two of the satellites if you don't have a multi-output sound card). I used the set with my gaming PC for several months and it was awesome, and now I'm using it in a stereo-only setup with my Mac mini and it's still awesome.

Chrispy

macrumors 68020
Dec 27, 2004
Indiana
AstroManLuca said:
I have these. That is where I bought them from - pretty good deal. $75 (including shipping, and these are BIG speakers) for a 188W subwoofer and four 53W satellites (though you'll only be able to use two of the satellites if you don't have a multi-output sound card). I used the set with my gaming PC for several months and it was awesome, and now I'm using it in a stereo-only setup with my Mac mini and it's still awesome.
That is a great deal as well :) I have heard nothing but great things about those speakers. It is really amazing at the great deals available on computer speakers anymore. Glad to hear you are enjoying them :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.