Difference between last year's 13" 2.4 GHz MB and new MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Anthony T, Jul 1, 2009.

1. Anthony T macrumors 6502a

What is the main difference between the new lower-end MBP (the $1200 13") and last year's 2.4 GHz 13" aluminum MacBook? Is it worth selling my 13" 2.4 GHz 2008 MacBook for the new 13" 2.2 GHz MBP?

2. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Bigger screen and introduction of a SD Card slot and support of 8GB of RAM.

3. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

Wirelessly posted (BB 8900: BlackBerry8900/4.6.1.101 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/301)

+SD, +firewire, +8gb ram, +better screen, +extended nonremoveable battery. And its cheaper.

4. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

The new 13.3" MacBook Pro has a bigger screen than the old 13.3" MacBook? ;)

OP: there are plenty of specs on the internet. Try Google next time. :rolleyes:

5. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

BWHAHAH I thought OP was comparing stock 15" MacBook Pro to High end MacBook...

6. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Why would you want to take a processor speed cut? That's why they call it an UPgrade. If anything, get the 2.53. That's what I did.

There are 2 and only 2 major differences for the average user IMO.

1. The screen. Blows last year's screen out of the water, although calibrating it can be tricky if you're picky. The colors border on oversaturated. Blacks are deeper. Contrast higher. Viewing angles wider.

2. Battery life. I'm getting almost 5 hours from the battery, vs. just over 3 with the uMB. Let's call it an even 90 min. more juice.

If you need FireWire (you shouldn't have bought the uMB in the first place if you truly need it), then get the MBP.

The processor (2.4 vs. 2.53) does feel a bit zippier, but it's not enough alone to warrant a trade up.

If you need 8GBs of RAM...few do in a notebook...get the MBP. Again, not worth the admission price by itself.

The SD slot is nice, but not a deal maker or breaker IMO. Just a nice touch.

If the only processor option was 2.2ghz, I would not have traded up. Apple knew this, so they eeked out a 2.53 to get us upgrade-happy fools to crack our wallets.

There are times when I'm very glad I sold the uMB; other times I wish I'd waited a year. If I had to do it again, I probably would have waited. Mostly because thanks to Apple's refurb prices, and the low priced 2.2ghz model, initial resale values on the 1st gen uMB seem to be the lowest of any Apple computer yet. Craigslist NYC is littered with them, all sitting there not being bought, at $1000-$1200. I sold mine for $900, with the 4GB RAM upgrade...an $800 loss in 8 months. Still wincing.