Difference Between Leather & Non-Leather Smart Covers?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by loon3y, Apr 25, 2012.

1. loon3y macrumors 65816

loon3y

the first smart cover i bought with my iPad 2 was a non leather one, and when i folded it it to make a stand, the cover folded with the cover (outside layer) .

the leather case I've got with my iPad 3 is the other way around, its inside out, its the inner layer that folds and touches the surface.

anyone notice this, is my cover a defect?

2. xraytech, Apr 25, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2012

xraytech macrumors 68020

huh?!?

Both leather and poly fold the same way. You can fold both in or out, no difference.

3. brand macrumors 601

brand

ALL Smart Covers are designed with the inside of the cover to be on the outside of the triangle fold. If you are not or have not been folding it like that then you are folding it wrong.

4. loon3y thread starter macrumors 65816

loon3y

if the leather one has an outside fold, when u stand it vertically it can't stand

5. brand macrumors 601

brand

The non-leather part should be on the exterior of the triangle. Can you provide a picture of how your folding it?

6. xraytech, Apr 26, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2012

xraytech macrumors 68020

Try folding it in the other direction, Problem Solved!!!

Why are you under the impression that the leather covers fold differently than the poly covers. Both can be folded with the microfiber surface out (which is the correct way) or in.

7. loon3y thread starter macrumors 65816

loon3y

heres the pic

[​IMG]

im guessing the leather one can't truly have the outside fold, the non leather ones worked completely fine when i had my iPad 2

8. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

I can't make anything useful out of that pic.

Poly/leather both fold the same way.

9. loon3y thread starter macrumors 65816

loon3y

the leather one cannot stand vertically if you do an outside fold.

it fails, and it can potentially damage your iPad depending where u place it. i had no problems with this on my non leather one and i thought the correct why to fold it when i had the non-leather was to do an outside fold, now I'm guessing the correct way apple wanted you to fold it was the outside fold.

10. fishmd macrumors 68000

fishmd

You are supposed to fold it by basically rolling the cover back from its normal "resting position". Yes, this means that the inside surface of the cover will be the one that is on the outside of the triangle roll and therefore exposed and touching the table tops you rest your precious iPad on.

My thoughts on this....who cares. Others don't like it though and that is one reason why many do not like the design of the smart cover.

I think that if your other cover held in place when folded up the other way, you were lucky. I know mine never did when I rolled it that way if I stood it up vertically with the iPad.

11. xraytech macrumors 68020

Why are you incessant on folding it in that fashion? It's been stated that it is incorrect to fold it with the Leather or Poly side facing out.