difference between mac & pc?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by turcott, Apr 20, 2008.

1. turcott macrumors newbie

hey just wondering whats different about a mac and pc? i read somewhere that the coding or instructions mac uses to tell the cpu what to do is different than the pc, maybe that was referring to the IBM cpu's, but i'm not sure?

Second since my macbook uses the intel core 2 duo, don't i really have a notebook that looks like a mac but has pc parts inside of it? i have to admit the mac os (10.5) overall operates better than any windows os i've tried...so since i have a intel core 2 duo cpu i shouldn't have troubles installing win xp or would i cause of the EFI? If anyone can answer my questions please do so, thank you.

2. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

PC = Personal Computer.

The Mac IS a PC. What most folks seem to mean when they say PC, however, is Windows PC.

The only real difference is the operating system, and yes, your Mac can run Windows side-by-side with OS X. That's what 'Boot camp' is for.

3. Tankgunk macrumors regular

Tankgunk

Either spend some time on Google and spend a lot of time learning about the basics of operating systems, or just worry about the "external" differences. Decide which interface you like better, and what features you can't life without. Both have their own strengths. For example, commercial games in Windows, media in OS X. You don't really need to concern yourself with much else. Also, you seem to be asking if you can run windows on a mac. If it's an intel mac, you can use BootCamp (only in Leopard/10.5 now). If you're looking for instructions on installing XP on your mac, I think you'll find the boot camp documentation sufficient.

EDIT: And yes, Apple does use "PC" parts but they put much more effort into hardware design, and tailor their operating system to their hardware.