Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hyddan

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 29, 2006
Mainly the difference between the high end Macbook and the low end Macbook Pro.

I can't really see any difference except the screen size and graphics card (and hdd which you can change anyway).

I have an older MBP and is thinking of swapping to the newer version but if they are pretty much the same machine I'm not sure anymore. The smaller system would be nicer. With an extra screen at home you have the best of both worlds. Light to carry with you and a bigger screen at home.

I'm using it in a music studio so 15.4" is cramped as it is already, and I really need the horsepower.

To further bog this down my extrernal hdd and soundcard both use Firewire (400 and 800 respectively), but they can be run with usb aswell so no biggie.

Should the high end MB be considered a 13" MBP?

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662
although not in the specs the display on the MacBook Pro is much more high end than the MacBook. much more 'Pro' for photography and video editing but the MacBook display is fine for consumer computing.

the graphics on the MacBook is really now like a mini MacBook Pro graphics seeing as the MacBook Pro has the same 9400m chip for hybrid-SLI. as in terms of horsepower they pretty much have the same specs except for clock speed

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
IMO, besides the obvious difference in screen sizes, the quality of the two screens is different. The MB screen distorts if you view it from an off-angle, whereas the MBP doesn't as much. That doesn't bother some people, but for others, it's an issue.

Bengt77

macrumors 68000
Jun 7, 2002
Europe
Mainly the difference between the high end Macbook and the low end Macbook Pro.

I can't really see any difference except the screen size and graphics card (and hdd which you can change anyway).

<snip>

Should the high end MB be considered a 13" MBP?

I think your right there, i think its all in the screen

and the extra graphics card in there

ML
I agree. If you're into music production, you won't need the extra graphics card in the MacBook Pro. If you can live with a smaller screen, you don't need the 15,4" screen of the MacBook Pro. If a 2,4GHz processor is fast enough for you, you don't need the top end MacBook Pro. If you're not into graphics or video, you don't need the higher quality screen in the MacBook Pro. If you want a lean, small, light machine you shouldn't even consider the MacBook Pro.

See a trend here? I indeed think the new MacBooks may be seen as the new 12" PowerBooks. Plenty powerful and yet considerably lighter and smaller than it's bigger brother. Go for the MacBook. But only if you can indeed live without FireWire. I think that is the one feature (or lack thereof, really) that sets the two machines apart.

rafaelcordoba

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2007
MO, besides the obvious difference in screen sizes, the quality of the two screens is different. The MB screen distorts if you view it from an off-angle, whereas the MBP doesn't as much. That doesn't bother some people, but for others, it's an issue.

Are you a 100% sure that the "new macbook pro" screen does NOT distorts if you view it from an off-angle? It's not matte anymore.

I agree that in the last version the "macbook pro" matte screen was much better, just like an "S-IPS panel" versus a "TN panel".

I haven't seen the new macbooks yet because I live in Brazil :)

It'll come only in november/december :eek:

Thanks!

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
IMO, besides the obvious difference in screen sizes, the quality of the two screens is different. The MB screen distorts if you view it from an off-angle, whereas the MBP doesn't as much. That doesn't bother some people, but for others, it's an issue.

I agree. The MBP is a bit more powerful, better performance, but the real difference between them is not simply the size, but the quality of the screen. The MBP has an excellent scren for a notebook. If scren quality matters to you, go for the MBP; if portability and price matter a bit more, then choose the MB.

Cheers and good luck

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.