Difference between Macbook Pro 15 inch and 17 inch

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Eddyish, Feb 13, 2012.

1. Eddyish macrumors member

Is there any difference between the higher end 15 inch macbook pro and the 17 inch macbook pro apart from size and weight? I plan on getting a new mbp and if I do it'll probably be mainly used for surfing the web, gaming, occasional video editing and animating.

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

The basic differences are as you say...Size and weight. I have a top end 17" and I need the real estate for work. If you don't need a 17" screen then save a bit of money ( and your arms) and get the 15" , it's adequate for most needs.

3. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

15in is plenty for what you are doing. I use mine for a lot of editing (video, photos, music, etc).

17in has one more USB slot and Express card slot.

Your concern should be more about processing.

http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/specs-compare.html

4. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

the 17 gets slightly better battery life on the top end models: same specs between the two, and the 17 has a bigger battery.

Other than that, the difference is... well, size and weight. haha

5. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

6. arctic macrumors 6502a

arctic

Is there a difference? Yes. Is there a noticable difference? No. Key word being noticable. If a single grain of salt is important, Anadtech's tests show that a similarly spec'd 17” has slightly more power than a 15”. Same goes for a similarly spec'd 11“ i7 to a 13” i7 MBA. Must have something to do with the throttle and/or hyperthreading differences due to the heat from the different sized enclosures (?). But as sure as the dawn, you won't notice these differences. A grain of salt difference in a huge bowl. If you have the cash, won't mind the size/weight and would prefer bigger screen real estate and resolution, the bigger brother is always the bada$$! :)

7. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

^^

True, and the posted comments about battery life are also accurate, I'm still amazed by just how long my 17" will run on battery power. In terms of work, it was a must have from a real estate point of view, The weight became REALLy noticeable after I had my MBA for a few weeks, Light the Pro is not.

8. arctic macrumors 6502a

arctic

Yep. I love my 15" Max'd but I salute my Mac brethren who love their 17". :)

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

For me the 17" is just too big, add in the fact that if you hook up your 15" to an external monitor, this largely mitigates the screen difference. Of course when traveling the screen difference is not mitigated ;)

10. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

all computers have "specs" you compare their differences based on these specs.

11. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Seriously? Specs are published for you to refer to:
    http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/specs-compare.html