Difference between Macbooks.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by greatmaju, Sep 3, 2009.

1. greatmaju macrumors member

greatmaju

I was just looking on the Apple store, at the Macbooks. And I noticed a few things.
    When I brought mine, there was 2 white macbook options, and the expensive £900+ black macbook.

Mine is the early 2008 Macbook. 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor.
    2 GB RAM, 250GB HDD, Intel GMA graphics.

The new ones on the apple store, they have a 2.13 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 160GB upgradable to 250 - 500GB HDD, 2 GB RAM. So, not much difference. apart from the graphics card. And the Apple Remote is £15! Mine was free.:eek:

What I was wondering was, whilst mine was slightly more expensive, even with the student discount, Mine has a better Intel processor. But the new ones have a better graphics card. Why do the new ones have 2.13 GHz processor? and the expensive remote?

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I don't know exactly why, but that graphics card makes a huge difference.

3. ethical macrumors 68000

Keep costs low they've chosen to lose the remote, upgrade the graphics card (which does make a lot of difference, as jessica. said) but downgrade the processor.

One thing goes up, another goes down, so it balances, and price remains relatively the same or lower in this case....or at least that's my guess.

4. greatmaju thread starter macrumors member

greatmaju

Just seems a bit strange, thats all.
    That and it looks like the early 2008 might be one of the only macbooks that doesn't "need" firmware updates.

5. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

This is Apple, they can be a bit crazy!

The biggest difference is the graphics, even though they are both integrated nvidia beats intel hands down. The difference will also increase when Snow Leopard is taken into account.

Remember with processors a straight comparison of GHz is not really the whole story (although your 2.4 GHz processor is still very good).

I was disappointed when they dropped the free remote, like so many Apple peripherals it is quite overpriced!

I prefer the unibody models, but I just couldn't afford one and didn't need the modest bump in specs. I do wish Apple would bring back the BlackBooks, I think they are the best looking laptops ever!

As an aside here's some information if you are looking to get a new MacBook (although your 2008 MacBook not really out of date yet!)- if you are a UK university student and you purchase a computer through the HE store on your university network or over the special HE phone store then you get a 3 year warranty included as standard, absolutely no need to purchase AppleCare unless you want the 3 year phone support. (I always say this as many people don't realise.)

6. greatmaju thread starter macrumors member

greatmaju

Hmm. Okay thanks. I haven't used the remote in ages. And theres a remote App for the iPod.

Unfortunately I'm not an University, I'm at college. And can't get on the store through the college network. Not sure if I can even do that.
    The 3 year warranty would of been nice. Mine needs a new case, those damn cracked palmrests tried to come back!
    and now I have some tape around it.
    Along with several minor cosmetic cracks. and this hole on the screen. Looks like the top layer of the screen though. I keep trying to find a Hardcase for my macbook, but only found one, and not sure if it'll be right for my macbook.