Difference between mail on the iphone and android phone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Pinkstiletto66, Dec 24, 2010.

1. Pinkstiletto66 macrumors 6502

Is there a difference between them?

I noticed that with the iphone there is push and fetch. It fetches info as fast as every 15 minutes but not faster. I get about 85 percent of my mails on time. The other 15 percent of the time theyre late in different intervals. Although fetch is suppose to be for apps that might not support push, and I believe mail from the same site shouldnt be an issue, moving on.

Are androids, specifically Droid X, samsung captivate, etc, the same type of set up?
    I'm accustom to Blackberries instant push pull. Thanks in advance.

2. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

No difference. Pretty much all non-Blackberry email apps are the same nowadays, with support for both fetch and push. Push being based on ActiveSync or sometimes IMAP Idle.

Push is usually nearly instantaneous, although it can use more battery than fetch, depending on your connection characteristics.

PS. Like a lot of other people, I use Google's email, contacts and calendar apps on all my devices... from iPod touch to Android phone to laptop... so they all stay in sync automatically. It's really handy to turn on a new device, enter your Google name and password, and immediately the device is set up with your contacts and events.

3. Weiser878 macrumors regular

Well, it will fetch if there's anything there and it will update on your phone.

If you have Push, there's no reason to have fetch.

What email do you use?

I set up Gmail as an exchange account so I now have push gmail

4. Pinkstiletto66 thread starter macrumors 6502

Lol. These answers didnt reach my email like it normally does. I'm now seeing them, it went to bulk, anywho I use yahoo.

5. Pinkstiletto66 thread starter macrumors 6502

Well according to what is says on the phone fetch goes for info not pushed to the phone, because not all app support it. If I turn push off, nothing will come in.

6. Gordon Gekko macrumors regular

Starting with Exchange 2003 devices that have the push ability in the client enjoy the same enterprise messaging capability found in the BlackBerry Enterprise Server environment.

7. Nicksd84 macrumors 6502

I think you're confusing push notifications and push sync services. You can have push disabled for email, calendars, etc and still receive push notifications from your apps.

8. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

It's no wonder Blackberry is slowly losing ground these days.