Difference between MBP 15

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macappletex, Jun 12, 2012.

1. macappletex macrumors member

What is the big difference between the new MBP 15 (base) vs previous generation MBP 15 base unit? I know about USB 3 but is there another big difference I'm missing?

2. cathyy macrumors 6502a

Faster processors. GPU is around 50% better. Newer OS.

Or if you count the Retina model then there's the new design, SSDs and a retina screen.

3. bluesteel macrumors 6502

the new macbook pro has non-upgradeable memory and hard drive. it has no ethernet port, FW800, or optical drive.

4. macappletex thread starter macrumors member

Thanks! Trying to decide between new model vs refurb previous generation. About $300 difference!

5. bluesteel macrumors 6502

i'm going to buy a previous generation myself. i can't stomach the fact that i will not be able to upgrade memory or hard drive in the new retina macbook pro. i also have a problem with the fact that there is no ethernet port. i transfer files via a wired network and its A LOT faster than file sharing via wireless.

for the first time in my life, i don't want the new apple product :)

6. The Economist macrumors 6502

The Economist

You make it sound as if there's absolutely no way of transferring files via ethernet. What about the ethernet adapter thingy?

7. Stetrain macrumors 68040

He's talking about the non-retina models, which still have all those things.

Apple sells current 2012 model 13" and 15" Macbook Pros with updated Ivy Bridge CPUs and Nvidia GT650M graphics (on 15" models) that still have Ethernet, Firewire, DVD drive, and user-upgradable RAM and Hard drive.

8. macappletex thread starter macrumors member

I'm not buying Retina version! Looking at base MBP 15 inch which has 1 gig Ethernet port. I was under the impression I could still update the memory myself on the base model, up to 16 gigs.

9. bluesteel macrumors 6502

yeah, i just saw that Apple Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet Adapter for $30....thunderbolt port can do anything i guess.

still doesn't make me want the retina macbook pro. i don't like the fact that i can't upgrade the memory or hard drive...makes me angry actually :)

10. macappletex thread starter macrumors member

Thanks Stetrain! Still beating myself up on this! I want to save the $300 on the refurb and spend it on memory upgrade and AppleCare but my brain keeps telling me to buy the latest most up-to-date specs since this has to last at least 4 years.

11. Nebrie macrumors 6502a

You can still upgrade memory on the non-retina model.

12. edk99 macrumors 6502a

Yes you can do that and the hard drive just like the 2011.

13. macappletex thread starter macrumors member