Difference between memory-KIT and 2x singles?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lyngstad, May 4, 2010.

1. lyngstad macrumors newbie

Hi,

Im now to order 8GB memory for my MacBook Pro, but I was just wondering.. Is there better to buy a KIT with 2x4GB together or is it the same if I just bought 2 singles (not as a kit)... Does it has something to do with the performance and dual-channel effect?

The price is some higher on the kit, than buying two singles, thats why I had to ask! :)

Would be happy with some answers on this.. Appreciate it! :)

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

The kit has both modules in same package while singles come in two separate package :p The kit just has two exactly same modules in on package AFAIK

3. RedRaven571 macrumors 65816

RedRaven571

I've done it both ways and haven't noticed any difference; ideally, you want both sticks to be the same manufacturer, latency, etc. Whether they are packaged together or not makes no difference I have ever noticed.

4. Jason Beck macrumors 68000

Jason Beck

You'll get the dual channel effect with 2 of the same brand and model/frequency. Sometimes kits are cheaper, but if you order 4gbx2 in singles, as long as they are the same brand/model, your fine.

5. Jason Beck macrumors 68000

Jason Beck

+1

6. lyngstad thread starter macrumors newbie

Then singles it will be :)

Okay thanks for the info! :) I guess I have to go for the singles then, since it actually was cheaper than the kit :) Kind of weird, I also thought they would be cheaper but...

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

When I got a kit, the serial numbers were sequential; I found that was nice.

In reality I don't think there is really much of a difference; it's possible a memory OEM will switch chip makers (ie: Apple RAM can have Hynix, Micron, or Samsung chips) which with a matched kits would make sure both sticks are the same.