Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Michael.Hill

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 22, 2011
I was stupid and spilled milk on my Mid-2010 13" MacBook Pro. After a while of drying out, the only thing I can find that's broken is the keyboard. Instead of just replacing the keyboard (which is pretty difficult to replace), I'm just going to replace the palmrest with keyboard and trackpad included. I found a cheap, new 13" Palmrest for sale, but didn't indicate what year it was from. It just begs the question what the difference is between the palmrests/keyboard. The only thing I can think of is perhaps the thunderbolt decal being on the 2011 model and not on the 2010, which I can deal with.

kfergiez

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2010
How on earth to intend to replace just the palm rest without replacing the entire Unibody???

getz76

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
Hell, AL
The mounting screws and port locations are likely different. I would stick with the proper case if you are going this route.

Also, go to an authorized service shop and get an estimate.

Michael.Hill

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 22, 2011
The mounting screws and port locations are likely different. I would stick with the proper case if you are going this route.

Also, go to an authorized service shop and get an estimate.

I already know if I go to a service shop, they would charge $600-$700. I'm not going to pay them that. I'll buy the parts and do it myself before I pay nearly the price for a new computer to have it repaired by someone else.

Michael.Hill

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 22, 2011
thunderbolt port placement

What's different about the port placement? Is it not just a direct replacement of the mini displayport hole? I can't see why Apple would go through the expense of changing any of the machining. Just stick a new decal on there and you've got a new 2011 top case.

randomrazr

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2011
u might be better off buying a new macbook pro lol

repairs would cost alot if u want it done profesionally.

u can try and take it to the apple store and beg them to do something.

i spilt soya suace on myold 13 macbook pro last year (smacks head) and it killd my keyboard. future shop kindly replaced the entire computer for a new one. was so lucky. sold that though and bought a new 2011 15inch.

Michael.Hill

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 22, 2011
u might be better off buying a new macbook pro lol

repairs would cost alot if u want it done profesionally.

u can try and take it to the apple store and beg them to do something.

i spilt soya suace on myold 13 macbook pro last year (smacks head) and it killd my keyboard. future shop kindly replaced the entire computer for a new one. was so lucky. sold that though and bought a new 2011 15inch.

I already have a new 2011 MacBook Pro. And as I've said already, I'm not going to pay to have it serviced by someone else. I have a pretty high technical ability (and let's be honest, despite what Apple wants you to believe, it doesn't exactly take a genius to take a laptop apart.)

randomrazr

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2011
I already have a new 2011 MacBook Pro. And as I've said already, I'm not going to pay to have it serviced by someone else. I have a pretty high technical ability (and let's be honest, despite what Apple wants you to believe, it doesn't exactly take a genius to take a laptop apart.)

u already ahve a 2011 macbook pro? why would u buy one when ur 2010 model was only not even a year old?

anyways if u have another one than i wouldnt bother with fixing the old one.

JD92

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2005
Top case replacements are not as expensive as they used to be. Was in the Apple Store recently and one of the Geniuses said it would be around £200 for my 2009 15" MacBook Pro.

Don't try and do it yourself. It's the most complicated procedure you can do on a MacBook Pro.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.