Difference between new MBP and MB??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by soccersquirt82, Jun 12, 2009.

1. soccersquirt82 macrumors 6502

These are the differences I see. I am asking because it doesn't seem like much of a difference, and I'm thinking I missed a huge one.

MPB, lowest end 13 inch
    -little lighter and thinner
    -firewire 800 (400 for mb)
    -SD card slot
    -longer battery (thats the biggest one for me)
    -nicer display, backlit keyboard

I thought the graphics card was different, but it looked the same on the specs. For $200 more, what am I getting? It seems like I'm missing something.

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Nope, that's it.

Oh, and the little "Pro" letter stickers.

3. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

youre getting what you are listing

with the umb, i cost quite a bit more wiith a reduction in features compared to the white mb you know

4. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

Faster processor, DDR3 memory, and a slick aluminum enclosure.

It's more then worth the $200 imo.

5. mrj205 macrumors regular

More of an option difference. The processor is faster, the RAM is faster, in the MB you can have 4GB of RAM, in the MBP you can have up to 8GB. You also get the option of SSD with the MBP. And of course there is the track pad. The MB has a "Scrolling trackpad" while the MBP has a "Glass Multi-Touch trackpad". And then there is the whole polycarbonate vs. aluminum argument.

Comparison chart here:
    http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_mac/family/macbook_pro?mco=MTE3NDg

6. Eric S. macrumors 68040

Eric S.

If you're comparing to the unibody MB, it has no Firewire.

7. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

Beware of Apple's battery life figures - they are always grossly overestimated. There is no way that you will get 7 hours of use from the MacBook Pro if you want to use it to actually work, rather than simply sitting idle. Yes, the MBP will give you longer but probably not by that much.

It's much easier to upgrade the drive in the MacBook compared to the MacBook Pro, so you can add an SSD yourself if you really want to.

If I was buying a new Mac notebook today I'd be seriously considering the White MacBook. It's pretty much all that the Pro models are at a much lesser cost.

8. mrj205 macrumors regular

Title of thread: "Difference between new MBP and MB??" There is no longer a unibody MB, unless bought on clearance/refurbished. The MB(FW400) and MBP(FW800) all now have some variation of firewire.

Most definately, just saying that it is an option for BTO that the MB doesn't have.

9. Eric S. macrumors 68040

Eric S.

I interpreted it to mean "difference between new MBP and (old) MB." There's no longer a unibody MB? Then what am I typing this on? ;)

10. macrumorsMaster macrumors 6502

I read somewhere about the battery life(article) and it said about an hour or more...so that IS significant.

11. macrumorsMaster macrumors 6502

Need to read the whole post next time than Eric. :p
    The person put 400 for mb, so obviously they were referring to the white one :D

12. soccersquirt82 thread starter macrumors 6502

I had heard upgrading the drive was (kinda) hard. Maybe that's just for the iMac (early 2006)?? I had wanted to upgrade the drive for more memory, and people suggested I just get an external. And what's the advantage of the SSD?? Is it really worth the hassle?

And DDR3?? What is that??

It seems that the MBP is nicer w the look and feel, and I kinda like the touchpad. But it doesn't seem worth the money. The processor really isn't that much faster, right? If the battery life really is significant, that might be my decision maker. But upgrading the RAM to 8gb is pretty nice, although I don't think I will need so much RAM.

And I was referring to the new MB, not the old ;).

13. mrj205 macrumors regular

you must be stuck in another dimension...:cool:

14. badpinoy macrumors regular

15. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

Okay... Is there a hidden point in that post?

16. PeckhamBog macrumors 6502

PeckhamBog

Obviously badpinoy's sister has been trying to hide her recent acquisition by operating in the dark, not knowing her back lit keyboard has given her away.

Or possibly, the new 13"MBP comes with the back lit keyboard unlike the WhiteBook.

17. badpinoy macrumors regular

All I'm stating is you can get the old MB with a backlit keyboard. The backlit keyboard isn't something new for the new MBP 13".