Difference between newer and older bluetooth keyboards?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Eldiablojoe, Sep 20, 2010.

1. Eldiablojoe macrumors 6502a

Eldiablojoe

I'm considering a wireless bluetooth keyboard to use with my iPad, but I see what appear to be older and newer ones on eBay. What are the primary differences between the versions?

2. skorpien macrumors 68020

Not entirely sure of all the differences, but I think the older ones required 3 batteries whereas the newer ones only require 2.

3. rprebel macrumors 6502

rprebel

They're very different. Old one takes 4 batteries, new one takes 2. Old one is a traditional keyboard, new one is chiclet/laptop style. Old one is heavy, new one isn't. The main thing for me is the traditional vs laptop style keys.

4. Eldiablojoe thread starter macrumors 6502a

Eldiablojoe

Thanks y'all.

Skorpien's Wiki link seems to rprebel's information.

@rprebel, any clarification? Are we talking about the same wireless bluetooth keyboards or are you referencing the very much older (c.2003) version as opposed to the 2007 "older" keyboard?

5. fyrefly macrumors 6502a

rprebel's taking about the older white/clear BT keyboards.

The 2007+ BT keyboards have all been the chicklet-style keyboards. The Older ones took 3 AA batteries (MB167LL/A) and the newer one only takes two (MC184LL/A).

If given the choice between the two for minimal price-difference, I'd obviously pick the two-battery model.

I'm unaware of any other significant differences between the two models. I have one of each at home and both seem to perform identically.

6. Eldiablojoe thread starter macrumors 6502a

Eldiablojoe

Awesome, thanks y'all! I ordered a newer 2-battery model.