Difference Between Old and New Airport Extreme

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Shadow%20Mac, Jul 5, 2011.

1. Shadow%20Mac macrumors 6502

What is is?
    The new time capsules added cheaper prices and more storage (2TB and 3TB, compared to 1TB and 2TB)

But as far as I can tell, there is no difference between the old and new airport express. So why the new model and part numbers...

2. ahdickter macrumors 6502

Basically the new Time Capsule has larger capacities along with speed increases (same with Airport Extreme minus the HDD).

As for connecting an Airport Extreme to your router, I don't see why you can't simply replace the current router since it seems your WiFi antennas are dying

3. JD92 macrumors 6502a

JD92

According to the Wifi Alliance Certificates for the 4th and 5th gen Airport Extremes the only difference is that the new one supports STBC, or Space Time Block Coding. According to Wikipedia it's a way of utilising multiple antennas to send multiple copies of data to improve the reliability of data transfer.

I imagine it would add an extra 2 or 3 metres to the range before the stream has too many errors to be usable. I'm no expert though.

There'll also probably be various internal tweaks, but I don't think anyone's done a tear down yet.

Source: http://www.wi-fi.org/search_product...s[]=41&selected_certifications[]=48&x=50&y=19