Difference between "older" latest MBP 13" and "newer" ones?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TheMarc, Feb 27, 2010.

1. TheMarc macrumors member

To your knowledge, is there a difference between the new uMBPs that came out in late 09 and the ones that are produced now? What I mean is should there have been any problems in earlier production that existed and have since then been corrected?

I just bought a MBP 13" 2,53 (I waited since Christmas for the update, but just couldn't wait anymore...) and doing a battery test, I noticed it said my computer was 8 months old. Also, I have the Chi Mei screen 9CA0, which I imagine is the first one used (simply by the "code" though.. not a clear "fact"). How can I find out again when my computer was built? Do this really make a difference (any difference between an earlier built and a newer one)? Is it normal to have bought my computer last week and for it to be 8 months old?!

I'm a little puzzled, and a little worried..

2. MagicMouse macrumors regular

MagicMouse

3. Wehrwolf macrumors 6502

Wehrwolf

Go pull up your serial number in System Profiler. It should begin with something like:

W8946

In this case, W8 is the factory code, 9 is 2009, and 46 means week 46. So roughly, the computer (mine) was made during week 46 of 2009.

If you're using Coconut Battery to find out how old your computer is, ignore it. It's likely FoS.

Where did you buy the computer from? If it actually WAS made 8 months ago, that means it was probably sitting on a shelf for quite a long time, as that would imply it was made sometime in July 2009.

I don't think there're any major differences between 13" MBPs made in the middle of last year, versus those made later or in the past 2 months this year. There may have been minor revisions to certain components, however, but anything major I'd imagine would've been picked up by the Mac user community by now and would've been floating around forums like these.

4. runebinder macrumors 6502a

runebinder

Don't think that's what they were asking. Think they meant any difference in 13 inchers that were released in July time when they first came out, compared to the ones made recently.

To the OP, there's an Apple serial; checker somewhere, couple of people on the Arrandale threads used it to show their MBP's were manufactured late Jan/early Feb.

5. imac9556 macrumors 6502a

Cool, thats great to know! Mine was made in the same week and year as yours too! W8946

6. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

I think some of the older displays are nicer than some of the newest ones. I hope that helps.

7. TheMarc thread starter macrumors member

Well, I checked the serial number and it does say it was built in July 2009 (W8929, week 29 of 2009). It explains why the box had two stickers, one over the other, sealing it, and why I had a separate DVD copy of Snow Leopard...
    Strange. I bought it at the Apple Store, here in Montreal, Feb. 17th. I just feel like I got an "old" computer. Normally, in any product cycle, the earlier versions have problems that get worked out as the cycle advances, no? So far everything seems ok, but still.. I don't know... I'm worried.

I was hoping some of you would know of any issues, or at least of any differences.

8. kasakka macrumors 68000

The "earlier versions" were the 13" unibody Macbooks that came before the July -09 updates when the 13" became a Macbook Pro. The 13" Macbooks had their share of problems (as did the first generation unibody Macbook Pros) but the second generation, aka the July -09 MBPs, had none of them afaik.

I bought a 13" Macbook Pro last August and it has worked perfectly ever since.

9. randy98mtu macrumors 65816

randy98mtu

I bought mine at a local store (southeast Michigan) on Feb 19th and it's a W8004, so week 4 of 2010.

I would find it strange to get such an "old" machine too.

10. TheMarc thread starter macrumors member

What I meant to know was what the difference was between the June 09 uMBP and the current one, i.e the one built in Jan-Feb 2010.

I'll try to edit the title to make it clearer...

So, anyone know of any issues or differences throughout these production dates?

11. aquadisiac macrumors 6502

mine is W8002.....i got one 2 weeks earlier but returned it because it fell and dented. one thing i noticed is that my current one doesnt make that clicking sound every time i move it...?

12. MagicMouse macrumors regular

MagicMouse

Oh, I'm sorry :eek:

Misunderstood, just wanted to be helpful :)

I don't know an answer to that now that I understand :(

13. Wehrwolf macrumors 6502

Wehrwolf

Don't know how you managed to get a computer from an older batch of stock, but if it's working fine, what's there to worry about? For all you know, the MBPs made late last year/early this year may have an as of yet unknown "issue" that will manifest itself 8-12 months from now.

If there is a major known issue with the early run of 13" MBPs (like the first run of 27" iMacs) you probably would've heard about it on here or some other forum, like the Apple Discussions site.

14. Surely Guest

Surely

People worry about the darndest things......

Just enjoy your computer..... you have 1 year (or 3 years with AppleCare) to be worry-free about any manufacturing issues.......if something happens in that time, it will be taken care of.

15. TheMarc thread starter macrumors member

Well, I just have 14 days to exchange my computer though.. and if I have reason to believe it is more likely to be affected by something in the future, or that it has different (worse) parts or anything else than a MBP that has been manufactured recently, I think it's worth knowing and doing something about.

I really don't know either how I managed to get such an "old" computer. Anyway, you make and interesting and good point. It makes sense at least, but doesn't necessarily mean it's true. However, no one seems to know of any difference, and as you say, no one seems to have manifested any known problems with the earlier MBPs compared to newer ones.

16. vant macrumors 65816

I don't see anything wrong? Companies have inventory build up all the time. Apple doesn't have to worry about expiration within models. It's no different if you purchased a June09 MBP13 or a Dec09 MBP13 (minus the inclusion of Snow Leopard).