Difference between Pwnage/redsn0w/greenpois0n/etc.

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by fterh, May 20, 2011.

1. fterh macrumors member

Hi, I know that there is a multitude of jailbreaking tools available, but I must say, I didn't know (up till today) that there is a difference.

I just read the guide (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=983491) and I'm not entirely clear. It seems that Pwnage and redsn0w are developed by the same team, so what exactly is the difference between these two tools?

I understand Pwnage is more advanced and allows for a higher level of customization (which is what, exactly?), but redsn0w is simpler.

What exactly is the difference between Pwnage/redsn0w/greenpois0n/jailbreakme.com/etc.? Since they all achieve the same purpose - jailbreak.

I'm guessing that if my ultimate aim is JUST to jailbreak to get access to cydia apps and pirated paid apps, any of these methods would work? :confused:

But I'd still like to know the distinction. Thanks. :D

2. Trey1984 macrumors regular

No ones going to help you since you want pirated apps

3. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

the difference is the program is made by different dev so its kind like whoever finds the jailbreak first there program becomes the one to use for that firmware

4. fterh thread starter macrumors member

No I'm saying IF my aim is that, because that's the main reason my friends jailbreak (for free paid apps). So I'm trying to ask, for an average user, who just wants pirated apps, will different jailbreak tools make a difference?

5. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

you have to use the tool for your firmware, some older firmwares had mutilple choices for tool to use, one example i can think of was 4.1 there was greenpoison and limerain(or something like that)

if your interested in jailbreaking make sure you reading the instructions on "your" firmware

once jailbroken you can do whatever people on other firmwares that used whatever tool they used can do

6. fterh thread starter macrumors member

The how will pwnage allow higher customizability than redsn0w? since the end result is the same?

7. svenn macrumors 6502

Redsnow jailbreaks your phone, and that's it. If you use your att iphone on att, this is what you want.

Pwnage is useful for unlocking. It creates a custom version ios without updating your baseband. Only certain older basebands are unlockable, so that is why people like to preserve them.