Difference between RAM brands?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by XMizer, Feb 13, 2012.

1. XMizer macrumors member

So I've been looking around for RAM. There seems to be a consensus that Crucial is a very good brand but I was wondering what makes it better than the other brands that are out there.

2. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

4. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

5. negativzero macrumors 6502

The advantage Crucial have over others is they have total control over their manufacturing and supply chain from start to end. Whereas with other ram manufacturers, parts supplies change constantly, most notably the DRAM chips. From a QC point of view, having your parts similar all the time is more preferable to having to change and swap them as your supplies change.

At least this is my 2c. But as far as performance and quality goes, you get what you pay for.

6. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

It isn't much but bad or incompatible memory from a couple dollars saved can really ruin your week.

I went with the crucial low voltage memory recommendation and was happy. The price was competitive with off brand anyway, search around for some coupon codes.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Generally speaking most are pretty close but I will say some of those bargain basement type of modules may cause problems if they're not too close to specification.

I don't go for the cheapest or the most expensive but ones that have good customer support behind them, so if a problem does crop up, I can get it dealt with fairly painlessly. I buy from crucial, OWC or some name brands from newegg.

8. RockPortTech macrumors regular

Yup, I only buy Crucial or Kingston. If the get the best, then you don't ever have to worry.