Difference between retina and non-retina

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by maverick808, Jul 24, 2012.

1. maverick808 macrumors 65816

maverick808

I've seen a lot of people in the forums wondering what a retina screen looks like compared to the standard screen. I think the screens here are a great example of just how much more detail the retina screen provides.

2. Lindono macrumors member

It looks like the difference between a 3GS and 4. I have never seen an iPad 3 because I know how inadequate it would make my iPad 2 look. Took a look at the rMBP because I couldn't afford it anyway. It's spectacular.

3. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

It does not matter. Some people will claim that they still cannot see a difference.

4. chardz88 macrumors newbie

for me, 1 word to describe the rMBP's screen: "awesome".

no regret on getting the rMBP... :cool:

5. Lindono macrumors member

Well, that really isn't relevant. Fact is, there is a difference. High pixel count is and will always be useful only to people whose eyes can keep up. For my eyes, those were gorgeous pixels. :)

6. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

One can look at all the 2D pictures they want, and still find that retina looks quite different in person.

Retina is an extremely clever marketing name. Nothing more.

Those who own one are naturally prone to gushing about how fabulous they are, unless it's someone who doesn't need to justify their purchase to validate their choice.

Personally, I find it very nice, yet side by side with my conventional 2011 15" hi-res, anti-glare MBP its not as mind boggling as some would have you believe.

If your world revolves around being seen with Apple's latest, then you'd better have one.

Conversely if you use your computer as the tool it is to do work, then you're probably going to be a bit more honest & realistic.

My personal preference is just that, personal. I spend a lot of time in front of my computer at work, the reflection free hi-res, anti-glare suits me better.

If at some point Apple offers an anti-glare retina, then I'll give it another try.

7. Lindono macrumors member

Due to the tech they're using, it's a bit like an anti-glare glossy. Strange, yes, but removing that front glass really did wonders. You may want to take a look at one in person oh great unbiased one. I noticed very little glare.

8. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

I find this hilarious. I am going to make sure that I don't post anything positive about the rMBP, in case I am accused of trying to validate my choice. :confused:

The increase in pixel density is not just a clever marketing scheme. It's a fact. Damn, here I am apparently validating my choice again, because of my insecurity issues.

9. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

As I mentioned in my post, when I put it side by side... In other words I own both. :)

----------

Why take it personally? I was referencing the truth about the huge number of posts on the forum. I did not point it at you.

If you take a minute & read my post without jumping to conclusion, I was simply stating my experience with retina, along with my personal opinion.

Just because Apple says it's "Resolutionary" doesn't mean everyone in the entire world will fawn over the thing.

Did you not read where I said it's very nice?

It's just a bloody computer... :)

10. Ifti macrumors 68000

Ive just purchased a 13" MBP, which I am completely happy with for my needs for now, but I have seen the retina MBP and the difference is pretty immense! Much more then I originally thought.
    If you get a chance to look at them both side by side, rather then looking at the desktop image etc, look at the menu bar across the top. The pixels are easily visible on the standard screen whereas the retine looks completely smooth. Its pretty amazing technology!

11. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Indeed, it is just a computer and I am a methodical person that likes objective facts, rather than subjective opinions. I am probably just getting tired of reading similar posts and yours happened to be the one I picked on.

The glare/anti-glare is covered nicely in Anandtech's review

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Glossy, rMBP, anti-glare in that order.

12. twietee macrumors 603

twietee

I'll take the right one then.

Apple just screwed up imho. How many different screens are out there actually? MBA, MBP (why the hell is the 13" MBA different to the 13" MBP in the first place?) 'classic', high res, high-res anti glare, retina, not to forget super-glossy (glass covered) which I personally found insulting to my eyes.

About 5 1/2!

13. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

That is basically the worst you'll see. I don't use my Mac outside so this is never an issue, even with strong office-type lighting.

14. maverick808 thread starter macrumors 65816

maverick808

The retina screen is amazing. However, for me it has caused issues. I'm a developer and for years when I sit at my desk I've been plugging my laptop into a 24" and then 27" ACD to work in Xcode. A few days after getting the retina MacBook I've switched over to using the laptop display as the main screen even when sitting at my desk.

The reason is that now things on the 27" screen look terrible and I simply can't use it. I know this sounds extreme, but the difference really is like going from an iPhone4s screen back to using an iPhone3gs. Indeed, I'll be putting my cinema display up for sale in the next couple of days.

So, this is a major problem for me as I am pretty much stuck on the laptop screen now and it has slowed my workflow a little. Sometimes I wish I had waited until 24 or 27" retina displays were available.

My advice would be if you only use a laptop screen then definitely get the retina display. If you rely on an external monitor when at a desk then avoid the retina MacBook until an external retina ACD is available, because once you go to retina you'll find it almost impossible to go back to using standard displays.

15. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

I work in a large engineering & design lab. It's not unusual for me to spend 15 hrs in front of my MBP. The work being very resource intense demands a fast fully maxed out computer. That's why I upgrade to a new BTO 15" MBP at each refresh.

I don't rely on reviews, I just buy one immediately upon release and _use it_.. I always pre-order the very moment (literally) they appear on Apples online store. My work is too important to me to waste time, I'd much rather evaluate a new model as I use it in my real world environment.

With all due modesty, price is no object, I always have several new MBP's & MBA's, one in each size since I also travel internationally, and I enjoy choices.

The bottom line is that I always speak from first hand personal experience with any Apple product I'm discussing. It saves a lot of guesswork, something I don't participate in. I only deal with facts, my personal experience & resulting opinion.

Simple :)

16. twietee macrumors 603

twietee

I know, I rocked a G4 Powerbook for maybe 5 years and when I was about to replace it was literally shocked about the 'supposed to be better' glossy screen with no ag available at that moment if I remember right. Cannot complain about my MBA, though.

Just wanted to point out, that in my opinion there are waay too many different screens out there. But don't you dare kill the AG, Apple!

17. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

Your memory is correct. Apple came up with a rather weird idea to slap a glass cover over the display to make it shiny & pretty looking in the stores.

To assure sales, they took away our terrific, standard equipment, no extra charge anti-glare display that we had for years on our PowerBooks.

When they found out they couldn't cram reflective glass down everyone's throat, and sales tapered off, quiety they put back anti-glare. Even more brilliant, they showed us. They charged for what was once free.

Clever Apple :)

They _Always _extract the money from us.

18. PEN10k macrumors regular

I went to an Apple reseller last week, and I finally got to see the rMBP, and I was absolutely shocked!
    The non-retina MBP were placed right next to the rMBP, and the difference was crazy!

Before I saw the rMBP with my own eyes, I was quiet sceptic about it. Didn't really believe that the difference would be that huge, but it really is.

Pictures are great, but the best way to see the difference is definatly to go and take a look at it with your own eyes. :)

19. maverick808 thread starter macrumors 65816

maverick808

I wrote some code to let me set my retina MacBook resolution to the full 2880x1800. You can't normally do this in the settings since Apple only allow 5 pre-selected scales and the max is only 1920x1680 I think. The attached screenshot shows how much space you have at the full resolution, it's crazy... but obviously everything on the screen looks tiny.
    [​IMG]

20. t0rr3s macrumors 6502

t0rr3s

I concur. Today was the first chance I had to spend some time with the rmbp. I stood at the store just now for 30 minutes straight just playing with the rmbp (just my luck traffic wasn't heavy) and opened some apps like garageband, imovie and fcpx. I didn't come away THAT much impressed with the screen either.

The weight and form factor were definitely plus points but both didn't manage to tip the balance for a purchase for me. I ended up buying a bluelounge sleeve for my 2011 15" high res/ag mbp and walked away a happy lad.

21. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Garageband and iMovie have not been updated for the rMBP so you won't see any difference. FCP X has been updated, but the store builds don't have the update.