Difference between rMBP 13" 4gb and 8gb

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bbqchips, Nov 19, 2013.

1. bbqchips macrumors newbie

Whats the difference between the rMBP 13" 4/128gb, and 8/128gb?
    What does the extra memory allow you to do, is it worth the extra 90$ on apple.com

2. ray6712 macrumors regular

ray6712

It's more of a future proofing measure than any thing else. The 8gb of ram insure that with future updates you have enough horsepower to run the os effectively and on ram intensive programs it helps with speed and stability.

3. denilol macrumors member

Yes. Get the 8gb. Will extend the useful life significantly.

4. Kevclark1985 macrumors member

I'd 100% get the 8gb (and I did), but don't agree with some people's viewpoint that 16gb is needed for future proofing. 8gb will def be enough for the foreseeable future.

Personally I went for the mid range as I also think 128gb is just too small and wanted 256gb. (but that's a personal viewpoint for my own needs, yours may be different)

5. Paapaa macrumors member

4GB is more than enough for normal desktop usage: web surfing, word editing, light photo editing. Maybe you can't keep 10 apps or 50 tabs open simultaneously but you'll get the job done.

16GB is totally overkill for most users who buy it. 8GB is more than enough for most and is definitely future proof.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think 8gb is the smart move, it gives you wiggle room for the future and if you use some demanding apps now or the future it will keep performance from degrading due to low resources.