Difference between rMBP flash storage + 2012 MBP SATA III SSD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by appletechpro, Jul 4, 2012.

1. appletechpro macrumors regular

I'm sure this has been discussed, but does anyone know the following:

1.) Differences in lifetime of flash storage in rMBP vs. standard SATA SSD -- is flash storage susceptible to the same "lifetime writes" quota which SSDs are?

2.) Differences in speed due to flash storage being directly attached to logic board

3.) Differences in speed of RAM vs 2012 MBP

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The flash storage is the same as the SSD, just in a different form factor, so the write wear will be the same

3. iEnvy macrumors 65816

iEnvy

1) Essentially the same.
    2) Retina will be faster, YouTube for proof
    3) RAM is faster in retina, again there are YouTube videos showing how much faster retina pro is than the regular.

Quite amazed myself actually :) you will be impressed

4. DrJohnZoidberg macrumors member

Really? Care to share some of this "Youtube proof"? Because the Geekbench scores (which includes memory performance) say the cMBP is actually faster than the rMBP (by about 300 points on the 2.6GHz models).

The RAM is the same speed for both cMBP and rMBP, attached to the logicboard in the same logical - if not physical - manner, so I fail to see how the rMBP could be "much faster" than the cMBP (as you claim).

As for the SSD, both are attached via a logical SATA III interface, and if - as postulated - Apple are using a Samsung 830, then performance will be identical between the Classic and the Retina (assuming one uses aforementioned Samsung 830 on the cMBP).

5. iEnvy macrumors 65816

iEnvy

Whoa whoa no need for hostility :p people do make mistakes, just simply forgot he is comparing ssd instead of hdd.
    No need for a burn :rolleyes:

6. DrJohnZoidberg macrumors member

Sorry. Unnecessarily harsh.