Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

YellowLabrador

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 22, 2005
Hello All,

What's the difference between the student version (software, any software) and a standard version (software).

Thanks
Ray

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
ZoomZoomZoom said:
can't upgrade student version.
And usually, you are not allowed to use that software to create something that will lead to you getting paid.

For example, if you have student version of Adobe PS; you can't use it to edit photos and make money off of that.

The other thing w/ student/edu software is that you usually can NOT resell it. In some instances, when you stop being a student you must agree to stop using it.

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
ZoomZoomZoom said:
Usually, but not always true. It really depends on the software. Some times you can't sell anything you make with the software. Sometimes you don't get as good tech support. Sometimes absolutely nothing. This really is too vague of a question to give a good answer to.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Read the Education End User License Agreement (EULA) for the specific package you are looking at.

Microsoft says explicitly you cannot sell or give ity away or upgrade it.

Macromedia says that if you do any commercial work with eductiona software, you owe them the difference in price to the full retail version immediately.

University site licenses often state you must destroy the software when you leave the Uni.

zim

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2002
ZoomZoomZoom said:

Not true. All Adobe software can be upgraded, to professional status, this includes former Macromedia software. Apple is the only developer that I use that does not allow edu priced software to be upgraded... Quark might be another... Maya can't be upgraded but Maya PLE is free.

The only restriction with edu priced software is that you can't use it for profit.

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
so not only do the licenses vary, but so does the software....sometimes the student and standard versions are exactly the same and sometimes they're not......sometimes student packages are missing some functions and some student graphics packages place a watermark on the graphics....it's not a consistent thing

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
It varies by product. I had a hard time trying to sell my Microsoft 0ffice v. X on eBay. VERO kept shutting the auction down. Apparently, on that particular product, you can only resell it to other students and a form of identification or paperwork is required (or must be explicitly stated on your auction page). At the time, Microsoft Office X for the Mac with the education discount cost around $249 (compared to $99, now).

wPod

macrumors 68000
Aug 19, 2003
Denver, CO
often times student versions of software cannot export files for use with full version. like you cant buy a cheap student version for at home, then bring the file to work and use it with the full version at work. dont know how they do it, but it happens, even though the two appear to be the same file type. that is supposed to be what happens with a student version of mathematica i bought recently. havent tested it out b/c i only have access to student versions of mathematica at school! so i dont know what would happen on a full normal version.

other times student versions are strictly limited to ONE use on ONE computer. one university i went to had ALL M$ products for $5 a piece. but if you installed it on your computer, then tried it on your roommates computer the second one would say that the software is already installed somewhere. one time my computer crashed and i had to re-load it (yes this was windows days before i switched) and i couldnt even re-load it!! i had to call M$ and explain the problem. they then gave me some other security key that allowed me to re-install the software.

so really it all depends on the software.

zim

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2002
I think it would be helpful if you list off the software you are looking at. As it has been said, there are some limitations but for the most part, in my experience, none of the educational software that I use is any different from the professional software. The difference is strictly in the licensing and that is all. I mostly use design software from Adobe, Macromedia (now Adobe) and Apple.

YellowLabrador

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 22, 2005
I already have microsoft office student version and adobe photoshop student version. Both I can upgrade and both files saved using my mac, I can open at the school.

Looking at 3d apps. Ligthwave or maya, read the eula for maya, install only on one computer and can not be used for commercial which is fine.

Just wondering if the files I saved on maya or lightwave can be opened at the school computer using maya or lightwave.

Thanks again,

adk

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2005
Stuck in the middle with you
zim said:
The difference is strictly in the licensing and that is all. I mostly use design software from Adobe, Macromedia (now Adobe) and Apple.

Are you sure that's always true? I can get Adobe Creative Suite CS2 through my university for $199, and it retails for something like $1299. There's no way adobe would sell it that cheap and just make me promise not to use it to make money.

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
adk said:
Are you sure that's always true? I can get Adobe Creative Suite CS2 through my university for $199, and it retails for something like $1299. There's no way adobe would sell it that cheap and just make me promise not to use it to make money.

Well considering most college students just go to -----bay.org and get it for free I'd say it is a legitimate business move to sell it for cheap to students.

zim

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2002
adk said:

100% positive. Other then the serial number and the license, there is absolutely no difference between the edu priced CS2 and the public retail priced CS2.

CS2 typically retails for $379, edu and $1299 public, schools have the ability to partner with Adobe and offer improved volume pricing with the expectations that they will be selling large volumes.

As for the license, it is not a promise that you will not use it for profit, it is the regulations of the software license. If you break the license then Adobe has right to collect.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.