Difference between TetherMe and "Internet Tethering" on Bigboss?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by theaero, Nov 10, 2010.

1. theaero macrumors 6502

They both enable native tethering. Are there any differences? I'm definitely going for stability here and don't want any crashes, etc. Any experience with either of these?

2. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

TetherMe works fine. It's not a complicated piece of software where a lot could go wrong. Plus, if you have a crash, you simply restart and delete it.

3. theaero thread starter macrumors 6502

TetherMe is a mobile substrate addon though, which then alters stuff to enable native tethering, isnt it? Wouldnt a simple profile be a better option?

4. jpetticrew macrumors 6502a

jpetticrew

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8B117)

I bought TetherMe and it works great. I feel like a MSaddon would be more stable because I've installe those profiles before and they were spotty at best.

5. theaero thread starter macrumors 6502

Maybe I'll try it out. Although I'm curious if anyone has experience with the other one.

6. gravytrain84 macrumors 6502a

gravytrain84

7. gimmeaipod macrumors member

have you tried "internet tethering" yet? if so, how is it?
    if i uninstall tetherme, will it remove the MS addons it installed?

8. scirica macrumors 68020

scirica

If you remove tetherme via cydia it will uninstall the MS addon.

9. Xenomorph macrumors 65816

Xenomorph

You want mobile substrate addons. Just in case something goes wrong. Same with any modification. That makes it safe and easy to recover from if something breaks.

What TethetMe does is modify like two or three files. There have been guides posted online telling you which files to modify yourself (manually). CommCenter (to tell it to accept any carrier file) and then an updated carrier.plist file, and maybe like one other file.

Of course, if you modify them manually, you would want to double-check your work, back up the original files, and make sure you know how to connect to do that in the first place (SFTP is probably the easiest) in case something does go wrong (like you lose the ability to make calls).

Or, you can get TetherMe. It's just $2, it automates it all, it easily installs through Cydia, and because it uses mobile substrate instead of directly patching files, it is safe.

If there are other programs like TetherMe, they may work exactly like TetherMe.

10. ItsJustafnPhone macrumors 6502a

TetherMe $2 option, rock solid, enables native tethering

MiWi $20, enables a lot of additional options such as turning phone into a Wi-fi Router, monitoring data, monitoring your upload/download rates, allowing passwords , etc

both are good options, but if you can afford it Miwi is well worth the extra money

11. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

If I buy TetherMe to use for occasional internet for my macbook pro when wifi is absent, will att know about it?

I guess there's always that risk but I want to know if anyone has had any problems with it. And I have unlimited data anyways.

I still don't understand why we have to pay att per month just to tether to our laptops.

12. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

No.

13. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Not directly, no. However, if you start using your AT&T connection as your sole source of internet, AT&T will notice the jump from 5GB to 50 GB/month. If you keep your usage to something reasonable (around 5GB/month), you won't set off the auditors.