Difference between the materials and pricing?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by applefanboy4, Sep 8, 2016.

1. applefanboy4 macrumors regular

Is there any difference at all between the cheaper Series 2 and the more expensive ones? Are they all running the same and providing with the same things? From the 299 version, on up to the ones for thousands.

Is it the same?

And as far as materials, what are the pluses and minuses of the aluminum, gold, ss?

Does one scratch easier? Is one "cheaper" material than the others?

2. amb* macrumors newbie

amb*

All of the series 2 watches (including the ceramic Edition) have identical functionality (note that the aluminum bodies don't have sapphire glass). The cheaper silver, gray, and gold watches are anodized aluminum and should all have the same (body) scratch-resistance. The steel and space black steel watches are heavier and have sapphire glass but are otherwise identical.

3. applefanboy4 thread starter macrumors regular

If Im getting the series 2, and just want one that protects against scratches, would the ss be the best choice?

4. amb* macrumors newbie

amb*

The screen will be more protected from scratches with the SS since it's sapphire glass. The steel body can still get scuffed but unlike aluminum you can polish steel to fix minor nicks.

5. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

The ceramic is probably the most scratch-proof material they use.

How worried are you about scratches on your other watches?

6. applefanboy4 thread starter macrumors regular

I dont have other watches. This is my first smartwatch.

7. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

And there's your answer.

Watches get scratched and a scuffed. It happens. As a watch owner(non smartwatch, I've got a Tissot PRS516), I've just accepted that it'll show some wear over time. Just like my iPhone.

8. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

People who wear watches regularly also usually don't fret about nicks and scratches. They usually even say they "add character" or call it a "patina".

You could get a case to protect it and make it look like a Casio G-Shock, but I think it's only necessary if you're doing something rough (like when you'd wear a G-Shock). Or if you're just a terrible klutz.