difference between the mba and mbp in the os

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by iNeedToDoHw, Nov 6, 2011.

1. iNeedToDoHw macrumors regular

I owned mba for couple months and i have some complaints in comparison to the macbook pro. First is the touch pad. The overall feel of it seems much harder to press and scroll in comparison to the macbook pro. After several testing, scrolling in mbp was much smoother. It also mbp feels more solid. Second, is the osx lion for mba the same for mbp? I have a feeling that osx for mba is a lot choppier than the mbp. I doubt it's because of the lower processing power. I think it has to do with system optimization.

Is anyone else experiencing the same issue?

2. iNeedToDoHw thread starter macrumors regular

also anyone having any command,c copying problem?

I sometimes have to click this 5 times to actually copy what i am highlighting

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The OS is identical for all Mac models. Differences in performance can be attributable to many factors, including hardware configuration and applications/processes currently running. If you're having problem with keyboard or trackpad responsiveness, take it to Apple to have them check it out.

4. bill-p macrumors 65816

The OS is virtually identical.

If your MBA feels choppy, chances are it's experiencing heat problems. A simple fix is to try resetting NVRAM and PRAM (please look this up in Google). But that would only fix it for a while.

A better fix is to take the bottom panel off, apply some better thermal paste to the processor, and close it up again to make sure heat dissipation is good enough. But be aware that this may void the warranty.

Loud fan is a good symptom if this is happening. The fan is close to the upper left corner.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

First, you don't reset both. On Intel-based Macs, it's called NVRAM; on PowerPC-based Macs, it's called PRAM.

Second, resetting NVRAM has absolutely nothing to do with the OP's issues. Resetting it will not help.

When to reset NVRAM or PRAM
    Resetting your Mac's PRAM and NVRAM

6. iNeedToDoHw thread starter macrumors regular

The fan turns on very loudly whenever i watch hulu videos and youtube even in 720p.
    I tried the copy and paste with my friend's macbook air as well, and that didn't recognize this function very well either.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Unless there is a rare defect in your Mac, your temps are well within the normal operating range, considering the workload you're putting on it. Websites with Flash content, games and other multimedia apps will put higher demand on the CPU/GPU, generating more heat. This is normal. If you're constantly putting high demands on your system, such as gaming or other multimedia tasks, expect temps to rise and fans to spin up accordingly. It's just your Mac doing its job to maintain temps within the normal range.

Your fans are always on when your Mac is on, spinning at a minimum of 2000 rpm (for MBPs) or 1800 rpm (for MBAs, MBs and minis). They will spin faster as needed to keep temps at a safe level. If they're spinning up without increased heat, try resetting the SMC. PRAM/NVRAM has nothing to do with these issues, so resetting it will not help. Also, make sure you don't block the vents, which are located at the rear, near the hinge.

Learn about the fans in your Mac
    Apple Portables: Operating temperature

8. refurbished macrumors member

Weird. It works fine on my 11" Air.
    My Air seems to be cooler than my Pro. I can watch 1080p clips and the fans will stay the same and temperature never go above 70C.

9. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

No

10. spacedrabbit macrumors member

This will absolutely void your warranty and is not recommended.