Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

biscuits99

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 30, 2009
I see there is a Wi-Fi only and Wifi + 3G model.

But besides this, what are the differences?

I'm sure I read somewhere that only the 3G model would allow GPS. Although this seems to say it shouldn't be 3G only: http://blogs.zdnet.com/Apple/?p=5898

Any other differences?

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
I think the only difference is the 3G. I don't know if the 3G model has an actual GPS in it, or just uses the assisted GPS that they use in devices without one now.

-Ryan-

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
No, only 3G will have GPS. But what we don't know is whether there is actually a GPS chip or whether it is simply assisted GPS a la iPhone 2G.

-Ryan-

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
I would think a dedicated GPS chip would be included with the WiFi model.

To make two different models and only include GPS with the 3G model, seems to point to dependency on 3G towers' assistance.

http://www.apple.com/uk/ipad/specs/

There is probably no actual GPS chip. The likelihood of it seems quite slim, because that page specifically says Assisted GPS rather than simply GPS, implying it is only A-GPS to me.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
You can't have Assisted GPS without GPS. The original iPhone had cell phone triangulation (the assisted part) only (no GPS). The 3G and 3GS have Assisted GPS like the iPad will. If it says A-GPS then it has to have a GPS chip/receiver/antenna.

ukcolinr

macrumors regular
May 12, 2009
UK
So if for any reason at any one time you don't have a Data subscription, would GPS work without the Assisted part? Or do you need both to bring it together?

NeuralControl

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2009
There hasn't been any word on that, but I'd imagine you need a constant data connection in order for any of the GPS to work.

AngryApple

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2008
I'm confused about the 3G one. So let's say I go out and buy one. Does it come with a sim card to put in it or do I buy that separate? I'm eyeballin' that 3G iPad like crazy, but if there is some secret contract thing..D:<

mtnDewFTW

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2009
San Francisco, CA
Nope. Just that one has 3G and the other doesn't.

Well, that's all we know for now anyway. They might add something before the release, but as of now, nothing.

Oh actually, the 3G model has this black thing on the back of it, so you could get 3G signal I guess. Check it out here. Other than that no difference whatsoever.

lee.anderson

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2006
UK
I'm confused about the 3G one. So let's say I go out and buy one. Does it come with a sim card to put in it or do I buy that separate? I'm eyeballin' that 3G iPad like crazy, but if there is some secret contract thing..D:<

From what I understand; It's contract free. It looks like you buy the iPad, and if you pick the 3G one you can get pre-paid 3G data. It's on a month by month basis, so if you decide you don't want to pay for another month it just stops. I assume you buy the sim separate.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.