difference between these two hard drives?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by chrislaw, Jun 18, 2009.

1. Makosuke macrumors 603

Yes, they're the same drive. The difference is indicated by the "RTL" at the end of the more expensive one's part #WD5000BEVTRTL. "RTL" stands for "retail", meaning it's the retail boxed drive rather than a bare OEM one.

Bare OEM drives come with the drive in an anti-static bag, period. Retail drives come in a pretty retail box, include a manual and probably some software, and usually some mounting screws (maybe even a cable) as well.

Sometimes the warranty is different (retail ones have, in the past, been shorter), but they both appear to be 3 years in this case. I'm guessing that you'd also get a customer support number to call with a retail drive if you had trouble figuring it out, while OEM you're on your own unless it's physically broken.

I always just get OEM if the warranty is the same, since they're cheaper.

2. chrislaw thread starter macrumors 6502a

chrislaw

I see, thank you very much for clearing that up! I am afraid to post things at times on here b/c I see people getting ravaged for posting "newbie" type questions and i was hoping this wasn't one of them questions! I couldn't find anything via search.

Thanks again!

3. n-abounds macrumors 6502a

n-abounds

Omigod, I was wondering this EXACT thing earlier today...ty

4. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

"newbie" as in don't know because they are just too friggin lazy to RTFM and/or take 3.25781 seconds of their precious time away from their crakpipes/uPubes/MySplaces/Faceborks to do a google search is one thing.....and not very well rec'd by most of the regulars here :eek:

"newbie" as in just don't know due to inexperience but willing to do at least some research to try to find a solution.....well, those "newbies" are definitely welcome here 4 sure :D

5. chrislaw thread starter macrumors 6502a

chrislaw

I get it, I belong to other forums. Especially in the kawasaki motorcycle forum where i constantly see "what kind of oil" or "tire"... or a million other things.

But there are people there just like a few here that criticize people because they ask elementary questions that might be perceived to be common knowledge.

But there are people like that on every forum I've ever been on I suppose. I don't want to start a debate about it though :D