difference between thunderbolt 1 and 2 cable

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Sossity, May 25, 2015.

1. Sossity macrumors 6502a

is there a functional difference? I am reading mixed things online, that there is no difference, and that thunderbolt 2 is in the end device and host. Some cables are being sold as 4k ready. they look physically the same, so I am a little confused.

will I get the same speed or performance with a thunderbolt 1 or first gen cable connected to a thunderbolt 2 mac and thunderbolt 2 device?

2. PsyOpWarlord macrumors 6502

PsyOpWarlord

Everything I've read states the cables are the same between Thunderbolt 1 & 2.

3. steve23094 macrumors 68000

steve23094

I'm not stating this as fact so someone is more than welcome to correct me.

I know that HDMI cables vary in quality, so even though it's a digital signal you can get what are known as 'sparkles' on your display when using a poor quality one. Likewise the lower quality HDMI cables have trouble when running over longer distances.

I wonder if Thunderbolt cables might encounter similar problems? It would make common sense to me if they are manufactured to a low quality using cheaper materials and/or workmanship their performance might suffer.

4. dyt1983 macrumors 65816

Even if it's answered here in this thread and previously many times at MR forums, the online "things" will still be mixed... who are you going to believe? ;)

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1883514